• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

Psssssst.....lookee

Started by Mugwump, September 23, 2014, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Those 2 veils produced a very respectable spawn in straight tap, so I suppose you're right.  For now, I'll just see if I can discourage them with harder water.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

he he....they're popping around like pop corn....lov'n it  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Still kicks my ass that they are too stupid to raise babies.  I hope the female I sent you will do right.  She is the most important one.

Mugwump

.the fry water's been changed, and I added a stick-on-the-side sponge filter, and a bit of duckweed.....that'll help keep the water in check between changes too....I'm thinking of moving them to a fiver when they're free swimming a bit....they can stay in there a bit longer, and the water parameters won't swing so quickly, as they can when feeding bbs, etc....plenty of room to jump start their growth.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

here's a shot before I tidied up the 'whities' , etc....looks like a load, huh?.. ;D..even more over on the right side out of view here....

Jon

PaulineMi

Liz, you most likely know this and I don't mean to insult your intelligence.....just gotta say....

It's truly great to want, breed and perpetuate parent raisers. Even better to own that kind. However angels in the wild protect their fry until there is serious life threatening threat. At that point they will eat them. Why nourish the enemy? (Who knows if the inexperienced wilds have to learn to get it right though.) Apparently that instinct is still maintained in our tank bred angels albeit in many cases our breeding and taking fry from them has resulted in crossed instinct wires.

Discus fry on the other hand depend on their parents for nourishment.  Because of that the discus hasn't had the parent raising instinct bred out of them.

In both cases, angels and discus, the parents with fry is a sight to behold. It's natural and it's preference is understandable.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 27, 2014, 09:56:18 AM
Liz, you most likely know this and I don't mean to insult your intelligence.....just gotta say....

It's truly great to want, breed and perpetuate parent raisers. Even better to own that kind. However angels in the wild protect their fry until there is serious life threatening threat. At that point they will eat them. Why nourish the enemy? (Who knows if the inexperienced wilds have to learn to get it right though.) Apparently that instinct is still maintained in our tank bred angels albeit in many cases our breeding and taking fry from them has resulted in crossed instinct wires.

Discus fry on the other hand depend on their parents for nourishment.  Because of that the discus hasn't had the parent raising instinct bred out of them.

In both cases, angels and discus, the parents with fry is a sight to behold. It's natural and it's preference is understandable.

Well said, Pauline....we all like to watch the 'mutiny', and the after moments when the 'cloud' assembles around the parents. To this day, it sends a thrill through my body that is hard to describe....what a lovely sight....nature at work, showing it's best to us.....new life.
Jon

LizStreithorst

It's just something I like, Pauline.  I want my fish to do it.  Since I am under no pressure to crank out fry, I can indulge my whims.

PaulineMi

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 27, 2014, 09:25:06 PM

It's just something I like, Pauline.  I want my fish to do it.  Since I am under no pressure to crank out fry, I can indulge my whims.

Absolutely Liz.   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

....almost there....almost.....a few early birds are up and around now... ;D
Jon