• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 09:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 760
Total: 760

Frogs smaller than bumblebees discovered in Brazil

Started by BillT, June 06, 2015, 11:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I have a long term fascination with very small animals, like the Danionella fish and Paedocypris (danio relatives). People actually do research on  them.

Some small animals (like these frogs) have so few cells that as cell numbers go down and structures get smaller, tiny things (compared to the whole body) like toes just do not form.

Fish of this size are considered paedomorphic (thus the name Paedocypris). Paedomorphic animals mature to be able to breed before metamorphozing from the larval stage to the adult stage. Axolotls are an example of this.

If these small animals (including many small frogs) don't have a lot of pigment, you can often get a good view of their internals.