• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:54:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 815
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 775
Total: 775

Been a tough day

Started by Rjb3, May 22, 2015, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

So what happened, My Captain?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Well, I don't talk much about my personal life, but there are two things bothering me today.

I hinted around that I may be retiring, but it looks like that won't happen any time soon. I've been trying to put a deal together with a friend at his gun shop. I could retire on a full pension and do a little gunsmithing. It was his idea to hire someone to help out. All my days off from my day job for the last four months have been spent working at my friend's shop. He wants me full time, but keeps delaying the meetings to finalize the deal. One week he delays it until the next week. The next meeting that was delayed from last Wednesday is supposed to take place this Sunday. I'm seriously considering cancelling it myself. I came pretty close to doing something I love instead of something I dread. I'm a little bummed about that.

The second thing bothering me today is our dog. She's a French Mastiff. Yup, a Dog De Bordeaux. We found out today her kidneys have failed. The infection has spread to her blood. Treatment would bring one of three outcomes. 1) Her kidneys might start to work again for a few weeks to a couple years. 2) They could stop working again when the treatment stops. 3) nothing would happen at all.

Douce was a five year old kennel dog when we got her. She absorbed her last litter, so the breeder didn't want her anymore. That was almost two years ago. We hoped we'd have her a little longer, but we're thinking that's not going to be. Even though it was just two years, a very short time, she has been loved. Something she never had when she was a kennel dog.

Before Douce, we had Chloe. She was a French Mastiff, as well. We got her when she was just a puppy. When she was nine years old we lost her to bone cancer. I never knew how attached to her I was until she was gone.

There ya have it. I'm sad. Very sad.

Rainy day people know about stuff like this.

LizStreithorst

Oh My Captain, I am so sorry....
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I can relate to that Captn' Bob.  When my two Rottweilers left us, well I haven't got another dog because I'm not ready to go through that again yet.

I can say that years ago I had an old male Beagle named Blue that had kidney problems.  He was treated and then had to eat special food, but he lived for several years after that.  Good years too as he loved to hunt rabbits.

Dennis

Rjb3

I've also got a little guilt trip going on here because I never really wanted to warm up to Douce. She always was Gale's dog. Or, so I thought.

greydragon

i can understand how you feel about your dog when my dog Missy died in my arms 15 years ago it was the hardest thing i have ever delt with  so hard i have not had another dog since Missy was a toy Poodle boy do i miss her

Mugwump

Really sorry to hear that Bob....I remember when you picked her up....our animal friends work their way into our hearts, and lives....and it's a good thing too.....we talk to them like people, and they respond with little sounds and wiggles...they're family and there for us....We've lost a few animal family members over the years, but can't see not having another, and another, and another.....they fill our lives with so much joy, and when passed on...many fond memories....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Sorry to hear about your Douce, Bob. I hope the treatment works and she gets better.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Rjb3

We were told when we got her that she just had a sensitive stomach. She's been better lately but since we had her she would drink lots of water and throw it all up. She is also very thin. They told us they liked to keep all their dogs thin. Gale tried and tried to get some weight on her and nothing worked. Slowly she has been losing weight. Now that she's been noticeably sick, it all makes sense. All those symptoms including bad breath are all pointing to kidney failure. All we knew was she had a sensitive stomach. She's had this the whole time we've had her. She's been to the vet and everything.

You're right about the memories, Jon. Gale rescued a kennel dog and gave her the love she's always needed and deserved.

I'm still pretty sad here, but I appreciate all the comments and kind words here. I knew I could count on you folks to try and make me feel better. This is going to take some time. I still feel sad for our Chloe, and that's been a few years ago. Sometimes I wish I was tougher. Thanks again for helping me through this. Maybe it's a good thing that I don't come here to talk about personal stuff, and maybe not . . . . . . .

Time to go to jail. Oh, boy.

PaulineMi

Douce knows you love her. No need for that guilt trip. I hope she responds well to the treatment for her kidney issues.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Rjb3

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 23, 2015, 07:28:36 AM
Douce knows you love her. No need for that guilt trip. I hope she responds well to the treatment for her kidney issues.

Thank you.

Barb

Don't feel guilty.  Just feel proud that she has had such a great life since you and Gale saved her. 
Barb

b125killer

I'm sorry to hear about Douce. Thankfully you did save her and showed her what true love was. And for that you are her hero. I hope the treatments work for her.
Scott