• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 04:50:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

Pics Please

Started by LizStreithorst, November 19, 2012, 07:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Lots of pics, please.  Just because I don't want to raise these dosen't mean that I don't appreciate their beauty.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I'm sure that Dennis is preparing some as we read.......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

You have caught me at a bad time..... not a lot of time to play in the forum.  That said, feast your eyes on some Danio choprae.  I have never seen a photo that really did these fish justice.

I had a well planted 20 long with a group of about 20 of these in it and it was simply stunning.  Then I went and sold myself right out of these beauties, live and learn I guess.  I've got a new group that are just about old enough to spawn.  I'm thinking 3 or 4 dozen in a planted 40 breeder.

When I get some time, I'm hoping to post info and photos of the 20 or so different types of Danios/Devarios that I'm currently working with.  I think when people think Danio, they think just about Zebra Danios.

Dennis

Mugwump

Those are really nice.....I can't wait... ;D.....I like Danios and I've seen a few different ones...but 20 !!!....wow..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know you're busy.  I will be patient.  Post some pics of the Celestials when you can.  They take my breath away.  Is that Tennessee fish that you want a wild type Danio or a different small fish that rings your bell?

BillT

Here are some Danionin pictures I have laying around (electronically speaking):

zebrafsh (Danio rerio):

Danios and Devarios are not yet well sorted out as far as their relations and identifying all the species. It seems that there are many species out there that looking like other species and are not yet named.

Danio kyathit (not the striped version):
Take in a scratched up aquarium.

This fish is frequently called Danio kyathit but most people think of it as a separate species in need of its own unique name.
Danio kyathit (Spotted version):

The Danio kyathits are probably closely related to zebrafish (the center of the biomedical fish research universe). They are also about the same size or a little bigger than a zebrafish and similarly active.

This Danionella mirifica (probably). Some think there are 20-30 species of Danionella but only a handful are described. The species names they are sold as are often wrong, but it is very difficult to ID these because most of them look superficially alike.

Adult male (top) and female (bottom) Danio tinwini: These are small fish ~1.5 inches and not as active as a zebrafish.

BillT

Baby (zebrafish) Pictures!

1-2 cells zebrafish eggs (lining up in a ditch in an agar plate so they can easily be injected (with DNA or RNA or something else).

About 18 hour old embryo zebrafish in its shell (chorion). The head is at about 9 o'clock. The blocks along the back are somites which develop into repeated axial structures including vertebra and muscles (same as is us). At this stage the embryo has a simple 3 neuron loop already wired up in its nervous system: sensory touch neuron on head (trigeminal ganglion) --> interneurons in hindbrain --> motor neurons in spinal cord which cause a twitch in response to a head touch.

A 24 hour embryo removed from its shell. The head is to the left. The developing eye is at about 6:30 o'clock. The little blob just to the front of the eye as the nasal placode (which will form the smell sensory cells). Behind the eye is the midbrain. Behind that is the beginning of the hindbrain at about 8 o'clock (where I lived for several years when doing my thesis). The hindbrain flattens out going posterior and then rolls up again to form the spinal cord (after about 10 o'clock). The developing ear (otic vesicle) is the football shape at about 9:00 to 9:30 o'clock. there is one on each side. One is out of focus.

Close-up of a 48 hour old zerafish:
From  the front (which is up): nasal plocode (clear space just in front of the eyes), eyes (black), developing ear, just behind the eye (it now contains two otoliths {ear stones}, used in the balance sensing mechanism). The red blob on top of the yolk is part of the heart.

Mugwump

Those are great pics.....the colors are really vivid on these little fish, one of the tricks to seeing these is to have a nice planted green background, or floating plants. I could never get a good pic, but seeing them in the guppy grass and shimmering in the light is awesome...
Jon

BallAquatics

Fantastic photos Bill!  Are you spawning the Danio kyathit (Spotted version)?

Dennis

Ron Sower

Wow!  When someone asks YOU for pictures, you REALLY give them something!  Those are great to look at...Macro and Micro!  Thanks for putting them up.

I had choprae for a while. Great little guys and I grew to love watching them.  I want to have them again one day so I can spawn and raise them.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Jo

Those are all great pics and video!! Thanks for sharing!
Jo

BillT

QuoteFantastic photos Bill!  Are you spawning the Danio kyathit (Spotted version)?

Thanks Dennis. Yes the spotted kyathits are at times breeding for me. They are pretty fun fish, more bold and less timid than some others I have, plus I like spotted fish.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 19, 2012, 09:10:18 PM
Is that Tennessee fish that you want a wild type Danio or a different small fish that rings your bell?

It's a different fish all together.  It's from a family of fish native to North America.  Each year for the past couple now, I tell myself I'm going on a collection trip for some native fish.  I think next spring it's going to happen for sure!

I'll get you some Celestial Pearl Danio photos posted.  I've got some real beauties that professional photographers have given me permission to use.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I know that this is almost a month late, but thank you.

BallAquatics

You are very welcome Liz.  I never get tired of talking about or showing photos of my favorite fish!

Dennis