• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 02:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 769
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 568
Total: 568

SWAP Sunday

Started by Mugwump, August 24, 2014, 05:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...sucking down some coffee then down to assemble the fish, etc for the swap today...looking forward to seeing some of the folks again... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Have a great time Jon & Jan and sell a bunch of fish. ;D ;D ;D  Wish I was there. 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 24, 2014, 06:40:35 AM
Have a great time Jon & Jan and sell a bunch of fish. ;D ;D ;D  Wish I was there. 8)

Actually we were looking around for you... ;D.....it was a smaller crowd than usual, but we sold a bunch of sunsets/Koi/BN's....hooked up with a guy that wants to come over and buy a 55 full of the Sunsets/Koi... ;D....it was so hot....90 deg's/ humidity 80% and the freak'n dew point is 80 deg's...but it's nice in here.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....Scott and his sister Joni came by...and I talked with Josie a bit about her trip to China/Malaysia this coming Saturday....she's really excited....really, really, really excited....LOL....Yim and David LaBelle have been coaching her in Chinese....this could get interesting for her...LOL....Jan scored a pair of red delta guppies, and some more HiFin cories to add to our pods.....
I forgot to take pictures...doh !  :o....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 24, 2014, 03:59:47 PM

Actually we were looking around for you... ;D.....it was a smaller crowd than usual, but we sold a bunch of sunsets/Koi/BN's....hooked up with a guy that wants to come over and buy a 55 full of the Sunsets/Koi... ;D....it was so hot....90 deg's/ humidity 80% and the freak'n dew point is 80 deg's...but it's nice in here.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....Scott and his sister Joni came by...and I talked with Josie a bit about her trip to China/Malaysia this coming Saturday....she's really excited....really, really, really excited....LOL....Yim and David LaBelle have been coaching her in Chinese....this could get interesting for her...LOL....Jan scored a pair of red delta guppies, and some more HiFin cories to add to our pods.....

Funny that while looking in a closet today I found a couple of 30 inch glass tops that I got at the last swap I went to in February.  They are brand new so I have the feeling like I was at the swap. lol ;D ;D ;D The only problem with that is that I bought a 30 incher last week from Foster & Smith.  Guess I have to get a tank for it. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 24, 2014, 04:06:29 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on August 24, 2014, 03:59:47 PM

Funny that while looking in a closet today I found a couple of 30 inch glass tops that I got at the last swap I went to in February.  They are brand new so I have the feeling like I was at the swap. lol ;D ;D ;D The only problem with that is that I bought a 30 incher last week from Foster & Smith.  Guess I have to get a tank for it. ;D ;D ;D

woo hoo...more tanks.............miss ya, bro...
Jon

b125killer

It was a fun day today. There was a smaller crowd today but that was alright by me. I was butt to butt with strangers. I did manage to score some nice fish. I got some  discus from Josie. I have been wanting to get some discus from Chicago discus for some time. one is a pb and I forgot what the other one was but I think it was a pb of some sort. I would like to go see her Hatchery one day. Just need to find the time. I also got a few longfin L144 from Pleco Pete. I got them because of there color. There a bright yellow. I hope they stay like that. I want to breed them with Jon's long fins at some point.

Scott

Mugwump

You got some winners there. Scott.....so tell me who ended up with the red finned sharks.. ;D LOL...you or Joni????...
Jon

b125killer

I almost forgot about them. She split them up. I got one and my parents got one. I put it in the big tank with the leaf fish. I'm sure the leaf fish could and just might eat it. If it starts to nip fins it won't have to wait for the leaf fish. 
Scott

wsantia1

Nice score Scott.  I love that long finned L144.  ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

A lot of Pleco Pete's BN's have that yellowish cast to them....I've gotten the green dragons from him and they were like that, then they morphed darker.....food? or environment?...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Lovely Discus, Scott.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Rjb3

Some cory catfish can turn dark or light according to the substrate. Fish color can sometimes be adjusted with light duration. With plecos, I think it's the food. I believe some breeders feed way too much beta carotene to pump up the orange color. I remember the guy that sold them at the swaps years ago where even the water in the bags was orange. That was a bit much.

I fed mine raw carrots now and then when I was breeding them. That's enough beta carotene. Plus I have it in the foods. If you feed them too many carrots, they don't get the other nutrients they need.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on August 25, 2014, 07:26:21 AM
Some cory catfish can turn dark or light according to the substrate. Fish color can sometimes be adjusted with light duration. With plecos, I think it's the food. I believe some breeders feed way too much beta carotene to pump up the orange color. I remember the guy that sold them at the swaps years ago where even the water in the bags was orange. That was a bit much.

I fed mine raw carrots now and then when I was breeding them. That's enough beta carotene. Plus I have it in the foods. If you feed them too many carrots, they don't get the other nutrients they need.

I knew that about the carrots, etc...but Pete imports some of his too....that's why I wondered about environment/food thingy....the green dragons that I got awhile back were put in a tank with lighter gravel, and some plants...fed your foods which I know are rich in the needed essentials...over about a week they turned markedly darker....was thinking that bare bottom raising may contribute to the lighter coloring too ..????
Jon

Rjb3

Hard to say. I don't know what they feed in other countries.

You could try a bare bottom tank. My BNs were not in a bare bottom tank for long, and some never. Only with problem Dads would I pull them and use a bare tank.

b125killer

Thanks guys, as I was watching the discus I was looking for the best she had, they all looked good. Miranda said I did good picking them out.
I'm not sure if the BN's will get darker or not. I do know I have a few standard fin that are almost white, When the rest have a darker orange color. There not fed anything different, it's just how they are. Most of my plecos are in a bare bottom tank too. It will be intresting to see if the new guys get darker. I hope not, that's the reason I got them.  No matter how they turn out, it will be good to get some new blood in the line.
Scott