• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 11:41:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 528
Total: 529

29G with broken frame

Started by EverythingAquatic, March 10, 2014, 07:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingAquatic

I was given a 29g tank for free.  But, noticed there is a piece broke off that is close to a foot on the back.

Does a tank this size require its frame?  There is no cross-brace.  Just a thin plastic rim.

If it is required could I take the broken piece and silicone to back to the tank.  And then purchase something like molding and super glue it to the existing frame for support?

I do not own much in the way of tools, so it has to be something basic.

LizStreithorst

The plastic frame on a 29 is for looks and nothing more.  It's the silicone that holds the tank together. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: EverythingAquatic on March 10, 2014, 07:04:04 PM
I was given a 29g tank for free.  But, noticed there is a piece broke off that is close to a foot on the back.

Does a tank this size require its frame?  There is no cross-brace.  Just a thin plastic rim.

If it is required could I take the broken piece and silicone to back to the tank.  And then purchase something like molding and super glue it to the existing frame for support?

I do not own much in the way of tools, so it has to be something basic.

frames are cheap....cut the old one off and pop the new one on...tap in place with a oiece of wood and a hammer......so if you'd like yo have the frame.....look here...

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on March 10, 2014, 07:49:10 PM
Another place for frames

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/retail-frames

30" x 12"  $5.00 per frame

I was looking for that one too...LOL..thanks, Ed....prices are about the same tho...30" X 12 1/2" $5

not sure where the 1/2" comes in tho?..tank comparisons are same?? ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EverythingAquatic

Being as the missing section is hidden I really don't care.  I was told that it was structural which is why I thought I'd ask this group.

Since it is for looks and not structural, I will simply clean up the tank and fill 'er up.  I want to move my Clowns into it to start the next generation :)  These guys are het blue and I should have some great offspring from the mix.