• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 12:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 611
Total: 612

Anyone here ever build acrylic aquariums?

Started by Frank The Plumber, April 11, 2013, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank The Plumber

I spent a few hours surfing the web on this and yow. If some one these guys can do it I ought to be able to get one to not only hold water but fly as well.

I just sort of could not completely trust several of them.

For instance we have a guy in all sorts of different pajama bottoms and very odd foot wear or none at all making 6 part mini series movies on this. This guy totally lost me when he used a bic lighter to light the torch for flame polishing........in his jamies.........indoors..........with no shoes on (I think some of his toenails were painted too)..........on his carpeted floor.........then he tells you that it does start on fire a bit just blow it out.
Dude.
The part where he kept calling a framing square a level sort of disturbed me too but I forgot all about that when the torch came out.

This guy was actually one of the more intellectual guys out there. Another video clearly shows the guy leaning into the frame of the camera and getting a giant wad of his bright red hair stuck in the glue up. He left a big red tuft of it there. I think I might have edited that out. He also picked up the tank and was handling it like 2 minutes after glue up. Weird stuff.

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

PaulineMi

That's hilarious.

You know how they say....you can believe it because it was on the internet.   ::)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 11, 2013, 04:14:51 PM
That's hilarious.

You know how they say....you can believe it because it was on the internet.   ::)

Yep, I'm a French model... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on April 11, 2013, 05:05:39 PM
Yep, I'm a French model... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....

Jean Claude Mugwump  -- it's got a nice ring to it!   LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

I have not made an aquarium, but I have few simple tips from some pros I have talked with, after I made several photo boxes.

1) Use a jig and tape to hold things while the glue joint dries.

2) Solvent looks better that the thick glue.

3) For a solvent weld to be strong and hold water, the joint surfaces have to be very flat and smooth, if not use the thicker glue.

4) To get the good surfaces in #3, use a router to cut the edge or to smooth an edge cut by a saw. Saw cuts are usually not smooth enough.

Now that I know this, the next time I make a photo box I will use a router to smooth the edges.

I try to leave on the protecting paper or plastic till I am done gluing, however, it has to come off areas that are going to be glued.

Frank The Plumber

Thanks. The jig and assembly box idea is really what I thought was most apparently missing from most of the videos I saw. I have a fairly well stocked shop as far as power tools go and have built a few cabinets and use jigs to hold my parts a lot. Most of the videos had way too much oops going on.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

EvanJ

Frank. If you can pm The wetfish on taf2 He is truly a master at building them. I beleive he has a thread as well on them. He helped me tons on my acylic ozone reactor and the parts he built for me where amazing.

Mugwump

Quote from: EvanJ on April 11, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
Frank. If you can pm The wetfish on taf2 He is truly a master at building them. I beleive he has a thread as well on them. He helped me tons on my acylic ozone reactor and the parts he built for me where amazing.

Lou hasn't been active in a while.....but it's worth a shot....
Jon

EvanJ

Jon its really to bad he isnt active anymore he was a wealth of knowledge and I always loved seeing what new stuff he built. I sure hope his health is ok

Mugwump

Quote from: EvanJ on April 11, 2013, 08:22:09 PM
Jon its really to bad he isnt active anymore he was a wealth of knowledge and I always loved seeing what new stuff he built. I sure hope his health is ok

About 8-9 years ago, my wife got me two nice pairs from Lou, for my birthday...they were some of the best Angels that I have ever had the priviledge to own......bar none...round/thick/superb finage/ and both fantastic parent raisers. One pair was a mixed marble known as 'maps'(Smokey, and Zebra genes), the other were Silver ghost veils, with a hidden gold.,,,they threw absolutely gorgeous Sunsets....Lou's the man....you should see his guppies, they were Championship lines....stunning... 
Jon

ilroost

Frank thanks for watching my video, glad you liked it.  lol

Frank The Plumber

Hay! I know that's not you. You have clothes. This feller was working in his underooos. He's ......batman.

shatanka

Quote from: ilroost on April 12, 2013, 04:55:49 PM
Frank thanks for watching my video, glad you liked it.  lol

LMAO..I think I am finally catching on to your humor! LOL