• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 03:16:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 634
Total: 634

Zika Virus Expected Spread in US

Started by BillT, April 05, 2016, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

The zika virus is expected to spread further into the US than was previously thought.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/45705/title/US-Zika-Spread-Model-Updated/&utm_campaign=NEWSLETTER_TS_The-Scientist-Daily_2016&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=27951286&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--hxrMwj3J7kCq2bvi8e9AsYbdptm6BAlVOwUEBVzFgWT-LWGgFN2IM29UxUbc4KMPLB8ZwgIORzaJApkaPKODYSh5sU-_lPc9JHNL38z1stN6VSEA&_hsmi=27951286#.VwBmoc1gJXw.linkedin

It is spread through the bit of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which is in much of the Southern US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_aegypti and can spread a bunch of other bad things (dengue fever, chikungunya and yellow fever)

CDC mosquito info:
    Although Aedes aegypti mosquitoes most commonly feed at dusk and dawn, indoors, in shady areas, or when the weather is cloudy, "they can bite and spread infection all year long and at any time of day."
    The mosquitoes prefer to breed in areas of stagnant water, such as flower vases, uncovered barrels, buckets, and discarded tires, but the most dangerous areas are wet shower floors and toilet tanks, as they allow the mosquitos to breed in the residence. Research has shown that certain chemicals emanating from bacteria in water containers stimulate the female mosquitoes to lay their eggs. They are particularly motivated to lay eggs in water containers that have the correct amounts of specific fatty acids associated with bacteria involved in the degradation of leaves and other organic matter in water. The chemicals associated with the microbial stew are far more stimulating to discerning female mosquitoes than plain or filtered water in which the bacteria once lived. Once a week scrub off eggs sticking to wet containers, seal and/or discard them[9]
    Wear long-sleeved clothing and long trousers when outdoors during the day and evening
    Use mosquito netting over the bed if the bedroom is not air conditioned or screened, and for additional protection, treat the mosquito netting with the insecticide permethrin.
Use DEET (N, N-diethylmetatoluamide, 20% to 30% concentration, but not more) or p-Menthane-3,8-diol (from lemon eucalyptus) as repellents.

Mosquito Control 
Check your yard weekly for water-filled containers.
Throw away or recycle water-holding containers that are not needed.
If empty containers or large objects, such as boats or old appliances must be stored, they should be covered, turned over or placed under a roof that does not allow them to fill with water. 
Clean and scrub bird baths and pet-watering dishes weekly and dump the water from overflow dishes under potted plants and flower pots.  Check that gutters are not holding water and cover  rain barrels with tight screening so that mosquitoes cannot enter.   
Fill tree holes and other cavities in plants with sand or soil.
Check for hidden bodies of water such as wells, septic tanks, manholes, clogged drains, etc.
Call the health authorities when you detect unusual numbers of mosquitoes.

Mugwump

...sound advice.....don't allow any standing water on your property............might be a good idea to glance over in your neighbors yard too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have some skeeters now.  I have looked in all my stuff that holds water outside because I think that their larvae is a great fish food.  I have been able to harvest a few but not many.  I have looked in all my puddles.  Nothing.  It was like this but worse a few years ago.  If you went outside you would be attacked no matter if it was day or night.  My neighbor and I couldn't figure out where they came from.  Because we had both checked everything.  We have a swampy area down in the low land closer to the river.  It's a long walk but not a long flying distance.  I figured they came from the swamp.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Not all mosquitos are Aedes aegypti (or it close relative, Aedes albopictus) which the for human infection with a number of nasty diseases.

The yellow fever mosquito (Aedes aegypti) is a mosquito that can be recognized by white markings on its legs and a marking in the form of a lyre on the upper surface of the thorax.
Picture here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_aegypti#/media/File:Aedes_aegypti.jpg

Artificial or natural water containers (water storage containers, flower pots, discarded tires, plates under potted plants,cemetery vases, flower pots, buckets, tin cans, clogged rain gutters, ornamental fountains, drums, water bowls for pets, birdbaths, etc.) that are within or close to places where humans live are ideally larval habitats for this mosquito. This species has also been found in underground collections of water such as open or unsealed septic tanks, storm drains, wells, and water meters.

Biting Behavior
Aedes aegypti bites primarily during the day. This species is most active for approximately two hours after sunrise and several hours before sunset,but it can bite at night in well lit areas. This mosquito can bite people without being noticed because it approaches from behind and bites on the ankles and elbows.  Aedes aegypti prefers biting people but it also bites dogs and other domestic animals, mostly mammals. Only females bite to obtain blood in order to lay eggs.

Some people are working a genetic way to attack this vector of so many diseases. It involves a gene that would make the mosquitoes sterile or that would act like antibodies against the disease it might spread. This is genetically linked (they map close together genetically) to something that causes these genes to spread through a breeding population rapidly due a genetic drive mechanism. Genetic drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_drive causes the genetic drive gene (and what is closely linked to it) to be preferentially inherited by more than 50% of offspring. It would take several generations to spread through a population.
I like the idea of making this species of mosquito extinct. There are lots of other mosquito species that could take the place of these guys in their ecosystems (except for providing an intermediate environment for the pathogens they transmit.

LizStreithorst

I heard about releasing sterilized males on NPR.  It seems like a great solution if it can be done on a large scale.  I didn't hear anything about something being made that made the males carry an antigen to the virus.

I don't know which varieties of skeeter is reaching maturity now down here.  I do know that they bite most often during daylight hours.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT