• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 06:10:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 328
Total: 328

Our schools need this type of mssg too.....

Started by Mugwump, March 09, 2013, 02:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Well the good and decent people of this country have basically been asleep at the wheel while the whiners and complainers have dismantled our once great education system piece by piece.  Here in Ohio, our children get a 9th education.  That's the requirement to graduate, pass the 9th grade proficiency test.

When I took my daughter to enroll in college, the admissions lady stated that the first 2 years of college are now basically what we all learned in high school.  When our son passed the 9th grade proficiency test at the conclusion of his 8th grade classes, and the school system was ecstatic as they had another graduate, we removed him and enrolled him in the Treca Digital Academy to receive a proper education.  http://www.tdaonline.org/

It's definitely a sad state of affairs, but until we hold the people we put in charge accountable, and responsible, at schools or in our government, I for one do not expect much to change.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 09, 2013, 04:50:19 PM

It's definitely a sad state of affairs, but until we hold the people we put in charge accountable, and responsible, at schools or in our government, I for one do not expect much to change.

Dennis

I think the parents need to be held more accountable too...the schools have turned into 'daycare' and the parents just send em off for the day....poor teachers, the good ones, can't hammer an education into their pointy heads without the backing of the parents. Think about it....if the school called your house about you when you were young, you're folks would jumped your bones, big time...now a school calls home and the parents lay the blame on the school....sheesh...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 09, 2013, 05:14:26 PM
I think the parents need to be held more accountable too...

Most definitely!  When I first moved to this little village that I live in, we had a problem with children running the streets late at night.  We instituded a curfew and when the parents started going to jail for not watching their children the problem stopped.  They either made the kids mind or they moved to another area were they could get away with the bad parenting.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to become a school teacher in today's schools.  I guess I should have clarified when I said, "Well the good and decent people of this country have basically been asleep at the wheel while the whiners and complainers have dismantled our once great education system piece by piece."

I can remember when I was a kid, and if an issue came up at school, they could hardly fit all the people in at the meetings.  These days, all that show up for the meetings are the "lunatic fringe", and the voice of reason and common sense are never heard.

Dennis

sschind

I agree with the sentiments in the message, and everything everyone else has said so far, but I don't believe for 1 second that this is an actual answering machine message.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on March 09, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
I agree with the sentiments in the message, and everything everyone else has said so far, but I don't believe for 1 second that this is an actual answering machine message.

We can only hope....LOL
Jon