• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 11:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 324
Total: 325

Fish pics

Started by BallAquatics, March 05, 2013, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

The local swap is coming up in a couple of weeks so I thought I'd get some pics of the fish I'm taking.....

Dennis

P4Angels2

are you sure you and Jon don't want to make a trip to WA for the fish swap this weekend??

b125killer

Your fish look great Dennis. I'm sure they will make someone happy
Scott

P4Angels

Dennis, cant wait for the weather conditions to get better I would live to have some of your fishs
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

ilroost

Would love to get some of the red points

PaulineMi

Very nice.  What species is the fish in the first two pictures?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Looking good Dennis..you had me with the Celestial Danios or the blues ??... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

See the whiskers on the fish in the third & fourth picture? That's interesting.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Thanks folks.  You know how fish loose their color when you bag them up to take to the swap.... I thought I might print some little cards to show what they look like in your tank.  Might just be a waste of time, but I thought I'd give it a try and see how it works.

Quote from: P4Angels on March 05, 2013, 03:44:46 PM
Dennis, cant wait for the weather conditions to get better I would live to have some of your fishs

Once this weather settles down I'll definitely be shipping some fish!  Last year this time I was already shipping, but this year, one day it's 50 and the next it's in the teens... just too risky to send live cargo.

Quote from: ilroost on March 05, 2013, 03:48:38 PM
Would love to get some of the red points

They are really cool fish!  I've always loved Convicts and these guys are very similar, just less attitude.  I've got a pair that spawn about every 6 weeks.  The Purple Passion Danios usually get all the fry about a week after they start swimming around, but they have a spawn that's going on 3 weeks and they are really doing well keeping the danios at bay.

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 05, 2013, 04:35:15 PM
Very nice.  What species is the fish in the first two pictures?

Hey Pauline, the first 2 pics are Honduran Red Points.  They are very similar to Convict cichlids but they are blue with red tails.  I have yet to get a really good photo of them... it seems like the flash washes out their lovely blue color.

The next 2 photos are Danio meghalayensis.  They are extremely rare in this country.  As far as I know only 3 people currently have any... BillT, Stephan and myself.  They are one of the larger danio getting to 3+ inches.  The trade name form them is Blue Snakeskin Danio, but it's very unlikely you'll find any at the lfs.

Dennis

Mugwump

Ok, I'm weak on my Daniology....then those were the Blue Snakeskins???...I should have known not enough red for the Celestials.....I'll figure em out someday...so many varieties...wow
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 05, 2013, 04:44:29 PM

Those are 'Barbels' and most danios have them.  They generally hold them close to their bodies so you just don't notice them.  Danio dangila, (Moustached Danio), have two sets of barbels.  Check out the 'whiskers' on this guy.....

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 05, 2013, 05:04:21 PM
....I'll figure em out someday...so many varieties...wow

Yea, remember back in the day, there used to be Zebra Danios, Leopard Danios and sometimes Pearl Danios, (not the Celestial Pearl).  I've got about 2 dozen different types now and I'm still not close to having them all!  What a great hobby this is.....

I kept Danios 48 years ago, but then I got too sophisticated for them, and moved on to the 'New' African cichlids.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.....  LOL

Dennis

ilroost

Dennis you ever want to sell a few of the juvie red points, i'm you're man

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on March 05, 2013, 05:38:21 PM
Dennis you ever want to sell a few of the juvie red points, i'm you're man

I'll keep a close eye on this brood they got now.  If it looks like they are loosing them I'l pull out a dozen to raise up for you.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 05, 2013, 05:05:33 PM
Quote from: PaulineMi on March 05, 2013, 04:44:29 PM

Those are 'Barbels' and most danios have them.  They generally hold them close to their bodies so you just don't notice them.  Danio dangila, (Moustached Danio), have two sets of barbels.  Check out the 'whiskers' on this guy.....

Dennis

I had no idea danios had barbels.  That one in the close up photo looks very cool. He looks like he's doing his best arowana imitation.

I just Googled Danio dangila.  They're the big boys of the family