• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 01:42:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 395
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Want to go on a Venezuelan Freshwater Expedition?

Started by shatanka, February 15, 2013, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatanka

Ok, well I found this great documentary for those of us who can't afford to, or don't have the time to, or abilityto actually go on an expedition. It shows all the native biotopes, includes Altum, pleco's, rays, rams, cardinals, etc. and seeing them in their natural environment. I didn't know this until now either but the Diamond tetra, which is in this documentary, is becoming rare in it's natural environment.
I got to go to Venezuela one time with the ex..gosh I wish I went to see this instead!
Pretty cool watch...takes about 48 min of your time though..but worth it. It was just posted a few weeks ago for free- it used to cost $60 to buy it! ( hope I did this youtube posting right this time! lol)

greydragon

great Video makes me want to go traveling down there  ;D ;D ;D 8)

b125killer

Scott

Mugwump

Nice vid.....that would be a nice trip to make, for sure
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Wouldn't it be cool if we could really get a group together to do that?
I just started emailing someone that is in the tropical fish industry that did an Amazon expedition in 2004. They're sending me pics of their trip. I got a bunch of the pics this morning. What a treat! They collected Peruvian angels- very beautiful altum like turned up snout, but spotted..and they were large. They also collected discus- looked like Uatuma, not sure, and some other thing with TEETH that they caught on a line, bigger than a piranah but I don't know what it was yet. It looks like they did the discus collection at NIGHT, which would scare the begeebers out of me ( crocks, snakes- like that icky coral water snake thing in the video above..yikes, and who knows what else that you can't see at night.. uhhh uh. no night collecting for me!) But, OMG, the rest of it looks like a blast.

What do you think it would take to do this as a group? Think it is even possible, or just one of those pipe dream bucket list things, that's probably never going to be?

Barb

I watched and really enjoyed this video last night, thanks so much for posting it.  Now I want to go on an expedition, probably never will but it sure would be fun, I think.  I might have trouble with the insects, snakes and high heat and humidity though.
Barb