• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 05:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 554
Total: 554

Just outrageous!!!

Started by Babers, March 04, 2016, 12:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

>:( I took my truck a couple days ago the the dealer because of engine noise. And they're like...no problem, we'll call you when it's ready. So they guy called me and said in a hesitating voice( I knew something bad was coming when I heard that hesitation too.) " Well, we figured out the problem, and it's gonna cost you. He said the timing chain and shoes needs to be replaced". He quoted me $2600+. He said its gonna be at least 10 hours of labor. I told him that's crazy to cost that much for a timing chain plus whatever component he said needs to be replaced with it.
Well, I told him to get the truck ready for pick up because I'm not spending that much money for that kind of repairs. So I Called around and got a few other quotes to do the same job, use the same parts, and replace the water pump at the same time ( an added job I wanted the shop to do). Guess what, they quote I got was less than half from the dealer.

...problem is...shop said they can finish the truck on Wednesday. That's okay as we have another car. What I'm worried about is I want to make sure that I have a vehicle on Thursday to pick up some boxes ( ;) :D ;)) . There's no way they will fit in a car. Just a little nervous if something else goes wrong with the vehicle fix, I really don't want to rent a truck/van unless I need to....

Anyway, just needed to get this out of my system...
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on March 04, 2016, 12:05:11 PM
  >:( I took my truck a couple days ago the the dealer because of engine noise. And they're like...no problem, we'll call you when it's ready. So they guy called me and said in a hesitating voice( I knew something bad was coming when I heard that hesitation too.) " Well, we figured out the problem, and it's gonna cost you. He said the timing chain and shoes needs to be replaced". He quoted me $2600+. He said its gonna be at least 10 hours of labor. I told him that's crazy to cost that much for a timing chain plus whatever component he said needs to be replaced with it.
Well, I told him to get the truck ready for pick up because I'm not spending that much money for that kind of repairs. So I Called around and got a few other quotes to do the same job, use the same parts, and replace the water pump at the same time ( an added job I wanted the shop to do). Guess what, they quote I got was less than half from the dealer.

...problem is...shop said they can finish the truck on Wednesday. That's okay as we have another car. What I'm worried about is I want to make sure that I have a vehicle on Thursday to pick up some boxes ( ;) :D ;)) . There's no way they will fit in a car. Just a little nervous if something else goes wrong with the vehicle fix, I really don't want to rent a truck/van unless I need to....

Anyway, just needed to get this out of my system...

...junk out of the blue like that drive me nuts....plus dealers want the action without even giving you a kiss first....crooks...

good luck, hope it all works out....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I feel for you when it comes to vehicle problems.  Charlotte, the Beast, and I have had more than our share.  I got on a first name basis with my towing guys :(  My local mechanics are good, though.  One is less expensive that the other but neither rip me off and they both do good work.  Having work done at a dealer is always a rip off.  I hope you have as good luck as I have had with the independent shops.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Babers

Mechanic ordered the parts... Won't be in til Wednesday. Mechanic told me that it's okay to drive the truck with its current condition. (Really don't feel any difference other than the noise). He said if it's his truck, he won't hesitate to drive it. No worries about getting stranded anywhere he said.  I'll pick up the vehicle and just bring it back to him Friday. Anyway, that solves my vehicle issue picking up the shipment on Thursday.

Still... You guys are right, dealers are complete rip offs. No offense if anyone here works for a dealership. I know that's how they make money.
Joel