• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 04:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38

reading...

Started by Mugwump, December 23, 2017, 06:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What's everyone reading currently?.....I have a few on my list that I need to find.....

this is one...I like the way Isaacson writes....

Benjamin Franklin is the founding father who winks at us, the one who seems made of flesh rather than marble. In a sweeping narrative that follows Franklin's life from Boston to Philadelphia to London and Paris and back, Walter Isaacson chronicles the adventures of the runaway apprentice who became, over the course of his eighty-four-year life, America's best writer, inventor, media baron, scientist, diplomat, and business strategist, as well as one of its most practical and ingenious political leaders. He explores the wit behind Poor Richard's Almanac and the wisdom behind the Declaration of Independence, the new nation's alliance with France, the treaty that ended the Revolution, and the compromises that created a near-perfect Constitution.

In this colorful and intimate narrative, Isaacson provides the full sweep of Franklin's amazing life, showing how he helped to forge the American national identity and why he has a particular resonance in the twenty-first century.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Looks like a good read.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 23, 2017, 11:54:21 AM
Looks like a good read.

It's a tome...but he writes well....

I'm reading his book on Lincoln now....wonderful... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If the writing is good it doesn't matter how long it is.  I want to read about Franklin before I move on to Lincoln.  Franklin was so human.  Franklin wrote "fart proudly". 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 23, 2017, 02:10:29 PM
If the writing is good it doesn't matter how long it is.  I want to read about Franklin before I move on to Lincoln.  Franklin was so human.  Franklin wrote "fart proudly".

...and he loved beer too..... |^|
Jon

BillT

I read a nice book on Franklin maybe two years ago, by some other guy though.
He is in many ways fascinating.
Among other things he discovered the Gulf Stream and was a significant early researcher on electricity.
Helped to establish American science as something serious.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 23, 2017, 03:56:48 PM
I read a nice book on Franklin maybe two years ago, by some other guy though.
He is in many ways fascinating.
Among other things he discovered the Gulf Stream and was a significant early researcher on electricity.
Helped to establish American science as something serious.

.....and loved women..... ;)
Jon

LizStreithorst

Damn shame he's not still alive today.  I would find him and make him mine.

BallAquatics

Scored a great end-of-the-year bargain on some tech books!!!  $497.94 in books and videos for $30.01  Mostly Python, but some JavaScript stuff too.   ;D 8) ;D 8)

Dennis