• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 10:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 509
Total: 510

Hamburg Mittenfilter Update

Started by PaulineMi, January 20, 2013, 08:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I've been running the end wall type HMF with the uplift kit for five days now.  I must say I'm impressed with it so far. The air/water mix running from the top of the uplift across the water surface causes any debris on the bottom of the tank to flow back to the foam "wall" keeping the water in continuous circulation.  There's also the added benefit of the surface agitation helping with the oxygen level in a warm water tank. I'm only using a Tetra 100 double outlet air pump that came with a different tank that I bought used. It's also running a sponge filter on a bottom tank. No high powered equipment in use here.

The discus in this tank are a bit skittish so having to syphon the tank a few times per day is done with little disturbance to the fish.  I can syphon out left over food and poo from one end of the tank while the discus huddle together at the opposite end. From what was explained on the Swiss Tropicals website, due to its size it takes about three months for the foam wall to become fully biologically active. Oh...and since my new babies are still learning that there are no predators hovering above them, I can't get over the top of the tank to take pictures.  ::)

Now I have to find out if this type of filtration will work in planted and sand bottom tanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Super!!..sounds like a nifty rig.....sweeeeeet ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

You can also drop your syphon behind the foam and not cause any distrubance in the tank when doing water changes.  That's probably my favorite thing about using these in fry tanks... you can do a quick vac and then remove the bulk of the water from behind the foam without worry of getting any of the little ones.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Ah...good point Dennis. Thanks for that.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

PaulineMi

Found some interesting archived info on HMF filtration on The Planted Tank forum.  I may have to re-read some of it...lots to absorb.

I read a suggestion that a plexiglass channel could be put into substrate. The foam can be placed into the channel......  Would that work?  The question/answer post is informative. Planting moss on the foam would be something I'd like to see and to hear about. Wonder how it works out over a period of time.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/22453-wet-thumb-forum-new-filtration-concept-3.html

Mugwump

Planting moss should make the filter go longer between changes....I would think??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I just put my foam in before adding substrate and then let the substrate pile up along the foam just like the other sides of the tank.  This has worked for me with the foam in the middle as a divider, on the end as a typical HMF and when using it in corner installations.  I don't know why you would need anything extra.

As for plants, I try to discourage plants from growing on the foam because I think it's easier to rinse without plants.  That said, it has been my experience that moss loves HMF foam almost as much as I do!

Dennis

Mugwump

I've had moss attach itself to a sponge filter, I just left it...LOL..and old sponge anyway, and it looked neat.. ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

Ah...glad to know the foam filter works okay in planted tank substrate.

Mugwump

Is that sponge loaded up yet enough for decent bio?...did the tank mini-cycle? or did you have other filters running til up to snuff?
Jon

PaulineMi

From everything I've read it will take a few months for the HMF to be fully biologically active.  So yes, I have a seeded filter running at the other end of the tank.

Since I'm syphoning the tank bottom a few times per day and doing 60% daily water changes the active filter may not be so active anymore.  Perhaps you'd refer to it as the placebo effect....for me.  ::)

BillT

Quotedid the tank mini-cycle?

What does "mini-cycle mean?

Quotefully biologically active

What does fully biologically active mean?

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 24, 2013, 03:43:02 PM
Quotedid the tank mini-cycle?

What does "mini-cycle mean?

Quotefully biologically active

What does fully biologically active mean?

Mini cycle is if the filter is not completely cycled and starts to cloud a bit, then finishs off quickly..

A fully cycled sponge or sponge filter is that...a filter/sponge 'bio' capable of sustaining a tank..already cycled with adequate bio present

Jon

BallAquatics