• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 12:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 640
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

HMF Filtration with Airpump

Started by PaulineMi, January 10, 2013, 07:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Would running a sponge filter or HMF system with an airpump on several tanks be more cost effective (electric bill) than running one or two HOB power filters on those same tanks?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 10, 2013, 07:41:56 AM
Would running a sponge filter or HMF system with an airpump on several tanks be more cost effective (electric bill) than running one or two HOB power filters on those same tanks?

I have a large central air pump and run sponges in every tank....much cheaper, yep...I do run some HOB filters too..here and there....usually on 'well' stocked tanks, for extra 'kick'.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have pumps that run 20 sponges each.  The pumps only pull 35 watts.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Like Jon, I have a central air system.  It really depends on how many tanks you have running to calculate savings.  Here are power consumption values for some Marineland HOB Power Filters.

Penguin
100 14.4 watts, 120 v, .12 a
150 14.4 watts, 120 v, .12 a
200 20.4 watts, 120 v, .17 a
350 20.4 watts, 120 v, .17 a
Emperor
280 15.5 watts, 120 v, .13 a
400 19.2 watts, 120 v, .16 a

My air pump uses 100 watts of power and will run 140+ HMF or other air powered devices.  Just 5 Emperor 400 filters use the same amount of power.

Canister filters typically use even more power than HOB filters.  Below is a list of some Marineland canister filters.

C-160 5/8" ID 20 watts, 120 volts, .16 a 160 gph 30 gal
C-220 5/8" ID 20 watts, 120 volts, .16 a 220 gph 55 gal
C-360 3/4" ID 35 watts, 120 v, .29 a 360 gph 100 gal
C-530 1" ID 56 watts, 120 v, .46 a 530 gph 150 gal

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Mugwump

Yep, mine runs 80 outlets, but I'm driving close to 100 now...and pulls about 90 watts...I have a 'back up' pond pump that'll bring the tanks to a froth...LOL...I have to do major tank line adjustments and bleed off the extra air on that puppy...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

You are certainly not limited to air when using HMF.  I've seen many large tanks and set-up where there are only a few tanks that use inexpensive submersible water pumps.

I'm a big fan of the ECO pumps from Ken's Fish.  They pump a lot of water using only a few watts.  I use the ECO 396 for water changes.  396 gallons per hour using 25 watts of power...  $18.95 at Kens.  Behind a HMF in a 40 breeder this pump would turn the tank over 10 times every hour.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Whoa!   I'm using somewhere in the vicinity of 150 watts on 8 tanks ranging in size from 10 to 90 gallons with Emperors, Penguins and two big Eheim Pro canisters. That's way more than necessary!

Thanks for all the info.  It will be nice to be able to use fewer electrical cords, outlets and ultimately power.  That will leave just the heaters as the power hogs.

I'll go read about pumps now and return to this topic if I have any further questions.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

PaulineMi

If an airpump has more airline outlets than are needed are there some kind of plugs for the extras? Or do I get a pump with fewer than needed and use a manifold?

Mugwump

Most the larger air pumps have a 5/8" - 3/4" outlet, and a 'T' adaptor...you run some clear tube, or pvc, and use the air logs/manifolds in series, placed between/above your tanks. Then run individual lines as needed....I have the 'logs' from JEHMCO....I believe in getting a bit more air outlets than needed. You'll find uses for it...plus allow for future needs. I've run a single small air line and hooked a 4 valve multi...then ran the 4 lines to hatching vessels for air stones...you'll get creative... ;D
How many outlets do you think that you'll drive???
Jon

PaulineMi

I will only be working with a 40 breeder, two 55s, a 29 and a 20 long right now.  However I currently have seven filters running on them. The smaller ECOs that Ken's has come in 4 or 8 outlets.  Could I just run an airline from the pump to each tank?  And that gets me back to the extra outlets.  Do they just blow the air out of the unused outlets?

As far as pumping water for water changes I have a self priming Wayne PC2 that pumps 340 GPH. I was able to get it with a gift certificate I had.

Mugwump

If the unused outlets don't have a valve..just run a short line to a single valve and close it.
Jon

PaulineMi

BillT

A big thing the last few years in aquacultural engineering has been replacing electric pumps with air lift "pumps", for the same reasons, less electricity used. They do this on very large aquaculture systems. The main limitation of using air lifts is that although they can be scaled up to move a lot of water, they can't pump water up very far. Not enough pressure. I think the depth of the lift tube under water has to be 4 times larger than the height above the water.