• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 04:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

Water Changes

Started by PaulineMi, December 24, 2012, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Instead of continuing to hijack another thread I thought I'd start a new one on the topic of water changes.

Here's a link to information regarding the effects of small vs large water changes complete with grids and schedules:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/tnk-mgr/vi-water-change-math-by-robert-t-ricketts/
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

The biggest problem with the article linked is this statement :

"This does ignore any new pollution that has developed in that month, but that pollution is being diluted out as well and at the same rate, just from a different starting date based on when it appeared."

I find it odd that the author makes a point to bring the readers attention to "residuals", but then in practice, just blows it off like it's being taken care of.  I guess that's the heart of the TFH article...  adding up the residuals.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I have another bone to pick with this guy.  He says that the gH prevents the eggs from either being fertilized or hatching out.  I beg to differ.  My gH has been 0 in both places I've bred Discus and Angels.  It ain't the gH in my case.  It's the kH.  Mine is 4.5 and I still need RO to get a successful spawn.  Water is just water to us, but water is very complex.

People are always trying to find ways to have healthy fish with few WC.  Why not just set up so that WCs are easy?  It's what I've done.

I would totally freak if my nitrites were above .5.  He says 10 or 15?  I wonder what kind of fish he raises that can tollerate that kind of abuse.  Sorry, I believe in WC.  WC is good for the fish.  The fish tell me so.  Off my silly soap box now...
Always move forward. Never look back.