• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 10:44:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,338
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 482
Total: 482

Goat Show!!!!

Started by LizStreithorst, October 15, 2015, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It's this week end at the State Fair.  First I was going to take off Saturday to do the whole 2 days.  Then I wasn't going to go at all because my friend said that he had nothing to show.  He called me just now while I was doing WC.  He asked if I was coming.  He said that he was taking 5 goats although he knew that none would be competitive.  That don't make me no nevermind.  Give me the worst dairy goat in the world and I'll take it into the ring and get the best out of it. I have a couple of dogs on the book for Saturday but I'll leave as soon as they're done.   I know there are my equals in goat showing dairy goats, but none come close in this neck of the woods.  If my talent made money I could hire myself out.

I can't wait.  I will have a blast.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

The blast will do you good!  Tell us briefly what it is that you do in the ring to show a goat well?  Explain your talent, if you care to?
Barb

LizStreithorst

It's hard to explain.  You need to know good conformation, same as dog grooming.  It's easier to hide faults with dogs than with goats because dogs have hair that you can scissor to hide the faults.  Goats are shaved sort.  With goats you can't hide much when the judge puts them on the move.  When you set them up you can correct things like out at elbow or a weak topline by positioning your hands and knees correctly.  A good judge knows but appreciates not having the faults glare at them.  Good showmanship can move you up a placing or two. 

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

It was fun, but I got bored and came home after yesterday's show.  My friend's Alpine was 1st place in her 3 year old class.  His junior La Mancha and Alpine were both second.  (The young Alpine should have gone first)   His juniors were a bitch to show since they had never been shown before and were not used to being handled.  I had to warn the judge to be careful when he checked her teats because she was a "touch-me-not.  For the most part the judging was very good although his oral reasons could have been better.  Another old friend won BIS with his Nubians.  They were very deserving.  There were some excellent quality goats in La Manchas and Nubians. 

It was great meeting up again with my old friend, Allen.  We traveled all over the country showing goats once upon a time.  He talked me up to all his new friends.  It was nice being reminded of the impact the goats of my breeding made, but I was never famous, just on the cusp of being famous.  A buck of my breeding produced a National Champion but he was in the hands of an excellent breeder working for a top herd.  At another National I should have gotten GCH Nubian, but they gave Grand and Reserve to famous people instead.  Only time I've ever thought that the decision was political.

I know that my friend would like me to start breeding again.  I don't think I have it in me.  Breeding top show quality dairy animals demands excellent fencing, twice a day milking come hell or high water in sickness and in health, and total dedication.  I no longer have the fire in my belly.  If I were to have goats they would be a side line rather than my main focus.  You can't make it to the top if your goats are not your main focus.

Mugwump

That's great that you had fun....sometimes a trip down memory lane can be cruel...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

More like bitter sweet than cruel.

LizStreithorst

I just called my goat show buddy Allen and asked him how he did Sunday.  He did better without me than with me.  His senior Alpine that should have won her class Saturday had more milk in her udder Sunday and went Grand and Best in show!!!!!

The people who went Grand and reserve in La Manchas on Saturday pulled their goats Sunday because they both had the one of the 3 legs that is allowed toward a championship.  That was very considerate of them considering there are no holes barred in a show that pay's premiums.  Allen's senior yearling who was second on Saturday was first and Grand Champion.  The younger doeling was second again.  She's a nice doe but her rear legs aren't perfect.  He said that he wasn't able to touch either of the two junior does to set them up, same as me.  They earned what they got while on the move which is really the way it should be.  All faults become apparent when an animal is on the move.

ilroost

I got goats but none of them are show goats. Hell they don't even think they are goats. They were bottle babies and think my wife is their mom. They follow her to the mailbox down the road and back. Just whistle and they come running.