Misc Topics... yada yada > Worms, foods, feeding, etc

Interesting

(1/3) > >>

LizStreithorst:
I have a couple of containers outside that the froggies and skeeters breed in. The containers have a bunch of decomposing mostly oak leaves on the bottom.   

I decided to feed some of my Angel fry (dime to quarter size) some mosquito larvae yesterday.  I got two net scoops of larvae  but I went too deep with my third scoop and came up with a brown stuff that resembled mud.  I fed it anyway.  OMG, the fish ignored the mosquito larvae and went crazy hunting micro organisms that were in the mud.  I fed them the mud again this morning and the fish went nutso again.

Anyone know what is living in these decomposed and decomposing leaves that the fish consider the best food they have ever seen?

BallAquatics:
A multitude of things I would imagine.  I've always just called it 'micro fauna'.

Dennis

LizStreithorst:
I'll start calling it macro fauna, too.  It'll make me feel smart.  I wish I had discovered it before now.  I could have been feeding it all summer.

BallAquatics:
Did you get your microscope cleaned yet?  An afternoon of adventure awaits!   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

LizStreithorst:
I did indeed.  I was thinking about pulling it out taking a look-see.  Any suggestion for a book that might help me identify stuff?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version