Author Topic: The 125 Cichlid Tank  (Read 403 times)

Ron Sower

• Breeder
  • Apache Junction, AZ....In the Sonoran Desert
Re: The 125 Cichlid Tank
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2020, 11:48:04 am »
...I'll get a pic soon, Barb...

...took 4 red shoulders to my friend Rob to give to his brother...in return he gave me a large SunSun canister filter he has no use for anymore...I've never had one of those, but he said it was wonderful...I'll set it up tomorrow, I figure....anyhow, I decided to keep one of the red shoulders... mainly because I gues I'd rather have 3 instead of 2 in that tank for now...I don't know... :-\

...as I sit here and watch the cichlid tank, I love the way they all just glide through the water...the only somewhat aggressive ones are the Firemouths...they are intraspecifically somewhat aggressive...they are only 2+" long...
Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound...and zip ties, properly applied, can reduce the movement!

Ron Sower

• Breeder
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 08:24:41 am »
...after dinner last night I decided to clean and set up the SunSun 304B canister filter I got in the trade for the fish...I was disappointed that it was about 1.5" too tall to fit in the space under the cichlid tank....

...I decided to exchange it with the Eheim 2217 on the Congo tank and set it up there... it is really quiet like the Eheim...I cleaned out the Eheim and have it ready to reassemble and install on the Cichlid tank tonight...

...the plastic intake and return stems for the Sunsun weren't all there, so I ordered a set from Amazon to be here tomorrow or Friday...

...the lesion on the side of the red shouldered severum is almost clear now...I had thought about including him in the trade, but decided not to because I've got a "relationship" with him now...crazy, right? huh

...the small firemouth cichlids are showing conspecific aggression...one little guy thinks he owns the other 3...I find myself sitting and watching the inter- and intra-specific dynamics in that tank a lot...I've always enjoyed the smaller cichlids when I've had them...now I'm enjoying the larger versions...! |^| ...quite different behavior than that exhibited in the Congo Tetra tank...!

...I have some Manzanita branches that I glued together at their bases to make the structure look like a tree-fall in the water...the glue I used was the Gorilla Glue that creates a polyurethane foam...in most cases it works well, but in this case I've had to shift the structure around several times and the foam sheared and the 3 branches have come apart...I've got some stainless steel screws since I finished that structure, so I'm going to pull the pieces out and screw them together...
Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound...and zip ties, properly applied, can reduce the movement!

Ron Sower

• Breeder
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:16 am »
...time for an update...

...the red shoulder that had the cloudy eye and the lesion on the side is almost completely healed...

...the large geophagus developed what looked like a pimple in its shoulder area which just kept getting larger and eventually opened with white all around it...didn't look like fungus...more like bacteria...I didn't have any meds for it so took him out, swabbed the area clean of the white material with a cuetip and dabbed Neosporin on it...he didn't make it...

...also a firemouth has some spots on its back at the anterior base of the dorsal fin...I'm going to pick up meds for it today...

...this new set of larger fish is a bit of a challenge for me...Not only am I dealing with their health issues I haven't encountered before, I miss the heavily planted tank look...don't know how long these fish with stay with me...

...the fellow I gave the blue acara eggs to has had them hatch...that's exciting...

Ron Sower

• Breeder
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 01:09:05 pm »
...after about 6 weeks into this tank, the water is almost crystal clear...took some time for the new filter to colonize I guess...fish are looking good...enjoying them but miss plants...no more spawns yet...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal