Author Topic: "Glow Light Danios"  (Read 299 times)

Ron Sower

• Breeder
  • Florence, AZ....In the Sonoran Desert
"Glow Light Danios"
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
...I picked up 3 of these last night at the ARK auction...They're a little lost in the 125!..

...I see the taxonomists have been at their nitpicking ways again...When I last had them they were Danio Choprae and now they are  Celestichthys choprae...!   When did that change Dennis?..
Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound...and zip ties, properly applied, can reduce the movement!

BillT

• Breeder
  • Eugene, Oregon
Re: "Glow Light Danios"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
It happened a few years ago.

There is a disagreement between taxonomists about this (surprise).
The Celestichthys genus you found is from a splitter, who also remade the Brachydanio genus along side the Danio genus from a single larger Danio group.
There is also a lumper wants them all grouped together.

Based who published most recently (that I know of) the splitter is winning.

Personally, I like the split up taxonomy since it accentuates the differences among the different fish. Otherwise the Danio group would be rather large for a genus (probably more than 40 species, more keep getting discovered/described).
On the other hand, it is nice to have a stable naming system and not have to keep coming back and learn new names.

Mugwump

• Administrator
  • Breeder
  • Dekalb, Illinois
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »

The Celestichthys genus you found is from a splitter, who also remade the Brachydanio genus along side the Danio genus from a single larger Danio group.

Personally, I like the split up taxonomy since it accentuates the differences among the different fish. Otherwise the Danio group would be rather large for a genus (probably more than 40 species, more keep getting discovered/described).
On the other hand, it is nice to have a stable naming system and not have to keep coming back and learn new names.

|^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

• Breeder
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »

...I guess this still applies: " Change is the only constant! "
Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound...and zip ties, properly applied, can reduce the movement!

Mugwump

• Administrator
  • Breeder
  • Dekalb, Illinois
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »

..it seems so sometimes, huh?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

• Breeder
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:35:31 PM »

..it seems so sometimes, huh?
...What can you think of that doesn't change...I've been trying to come up with something...