• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 04:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 202
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 210
Total: 210

Downsizing

Started by wsantia1, December 10, 2016, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I've quietly taken down 8 tanks in the last month in preparation for a move in about 3 months. I took another 2 down today and I've identified 2 more to come down in the next day or two.

Needless to say I am not breeding anything intentionally. The guppies, snots and L340s could care less and have other intentions. lol

When I do move I think I will focus more on the enjoyment aspect of the hobby as opposed to the working part (breeding, shipping, etc,). There is not much of a market in this area and shipping is really not my cup of tea.

I will probably do some light breeding with the snots and cories. I can easily get rid of those here. If my Altums ever decide to get it on I may expand some with them but they are still at least a year away from breeding age. I'm told they mature much later than Scalare.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 10, 2016, 06:20:43 PM
I've quietly taken down 8 tanks in the last month in preparation for a move in about 3 months. I took another 2 down today and I've identified 2 more to come down in the next day or two.

Needless to say I am not breeding anything intentionally. The guppies, snots and L340s could care less and have other intentions. lol

When I do move I think I will focus more on the enjoyment aspect of the hobby as opposed to the working part (breeding, shipping, etc,). There is not much of a market in this area and shipping is really not my cup of tea.

I will probably do some light breeding with the snots and cories. I can easily get rid of those here. If my Altums ever decide to get it on I may expand some with them but they are still at least a year away from breeding age. I'm told they mature much later than Scalare.

I predict that you'll end up someplace in between......which is about right..... |^|....no more work than you'll want it to be....have fun...

I can see us consolidating too pretty soon.....we have a ton of tanks, and I can see us concentrating on just a couple genotypes...plus the BN, cories, and a few guppy strains.....it'll make it easier for us to do a better job with what we'll have...plus the water/elec/gas bills will be lower... |^|  we'll still have plenty for the swaps etc too...no problem.....   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

And we got lots of swaps. You figure GCCA is having 5 in 2017. Two Greenwater, three Milwaukee, two in the quad city area, and we host two in Rockford. That's a lot of swaps.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on December 10, 2016, 06:43:21 PM
And we got lots of swaps. You figure GCCA is having 5 in 2017. Two Greenwater, three Milwaukee, two in the quad city area, and we host two in Rockford. That's a lot of swaps.

you bet....lots of swaps... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 10, 2016, 06:57:27 PM

We have very few swaps here. The DC club has one a year and then there is one in Lancaster PA. The local fish stores are basically non existent.

I'm sure I'll find the right level for me. I will certainly keep my Altums and the 150 going along with the 75, a couple of 55s and the 2 fourty breeders. Hell that's still over 400 gallons running. I will also have plenty of tanks in reserve if needed. lol
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 10, 2016, 07:10:12 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 10, 2016, 06:57:27 PM

We have very few swaps here. The DC club has one a year and then there is one in Lancaster PA. The local fish stores are basically non existent.

I'm sure I'll find the right level for me. I will certainly keep my Altums and the 150 going along with the 75, a couple of 55s and the 2 fourty breeders. Hell that's still over 400 gallons running. I will also have plenty of tanks in reserve if needed. lol

..... |^| you'll be fine  8)
Jon

LizStreithorst

Nobody cares about fish in my neck of the woods.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2016, 07:32:56 PM
Nobody cares about fish in my neck of the woods.

Well, except 'Big Red's Bait Shop', of course... ;)
Jon

LizStreithorst

Big Red's is the wholesaler.  They serve their purpose.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2016, 07:47:14 PM
Big Red's is the wholesaler.  They serve their purpose.

LOLOLOL....I made up Big Red when I posted that....LOL....you have a big reds ?????
Jon

LizStreithorst

No.  I was using it to mean "the last resort".    The wholesaler I sell to is a small outfit in south Louisiana.  I always get the same lady on the phone when I call.  She knows me by name when I call with fish to sell.  They're nice to me there.  The only time they didn't buy from me was when they were having water problems.  It's hard for them.  They depend on fish sales for their livelihood.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2016, 08:06:13 PM
No.  I was using it to mean "the last resort".    The wholesaler I sell to is a small outfit in south Louisiana.  I always get the same lady on the phone when I call.  She knows me by name when I call with fish to sell.  They're nice to me there.  The only time they didn't buy from me was when they were having water problems.  It's hard for them.  They depend on fish sales for their livelihood.

I hear ya.....just making sure.... huh
Jon

wsantia1

My local guy here is struggling. He's already saturated the market with my fish and now he is having a hard time moving his other fish too. Good thing he has a good inventory of maintenance items otherwise I think he would fold. huh
Willie

ilroost

I take my juvies to the local fish store. He is a good friend of mine and is struggling right now. trade him for filters, food or just give them to him. Right now I have so much credit there, I will never cash it all in. No big deal, just want to help him keep a float.