• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 12:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

finally good news

Started by LizStreithorst, November 25, 2016, 03:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

A pair of home grown PB had a spawn of about 150 that went free swimming over 3 days ago.  This was their largest batch of wigglers and my hopes were up, but I was afraid to say anything until I saw that they were well attached.  At first I just saw 3 attached.  Then I saw 5.  This morning mom was covered with kids.

Now for the Red Spotted Greens to get it together.  The only pair I've had luck with so far is the RSG male with the Blue Scorpion female.  I have 14 of their two sapwns (10 from one batch, the other 4 from a spawn a week later).  Let me tell you, I worked hard to raise those 14).  The same pair has two fry attached ATM.  They spawned again 10 days later but ate that batch in favor of the two huh  They have shown no more interest in breeding since then.  I guess they'll be raising just two kids for a while longer.  I don't know what I'll do with them when I decide to remove them.  I guess I'll put them in with a batch of Angel fry.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Congrat's......that's a bunch attached....wow... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wallace

Cool. Yeah its work. One time I had a single sole survivor Ram fry and raised him for the hell of it. That was crazy.
Dan

wsantia1

Congrats Liz. Lots of good wishes for you with this spawn. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on November 25, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
Cool. Yeah its work. One time I had a single sole survivor Ram fry and raised him for the hell of it. That was crazy.

I can't believe that someone here is crazier than I am.  You raised a single Ran baby.  How did the fishy turn out?  Did you use him for breeding or was he a pet?  I'm pretty high on my 13 (I culled one today).  They're still little little fish but so far I'm quite pleased with them.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 25, 2016, 06:38:54 PM
Congrats Liz. Lots of good wishes for you with this spawn. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|

Thanks, Willie.  They not my best Discus.  They are good Discus.  It's a good omen that I got a good size spawn to attach. 

wallace

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2016, 07:04:10 PM

I can't believe that someone here is crazier than I am.  You raised a single Ran baby.  How did the fishy turn out?  Did you use him for breeding or was he a pet?  I'm pretty high on my 13 (I culled one today).  They're still little little fish but so far I'm quite pleased with them.

He was a fine looking ram that I wanted to breed, but he had problems that were built into all the rams I had. One by one they would start sitting on the bottom with a swim bladder deflation I think, then bloat and death. Water quality didn't matter. Some were getting 50-70% daily WCs and were just as likely to suffer that fate. That's one reason I have given up on domestic rams... they are weak, although Larry Bugg I think has some good ones. I decided to go with wild instead.

I'm keeping an eye on Discus Origins, he should have the pre-order list with some wild RSG's in a few days. I'm badly tempted... with my luck I'd get all females like I got all males with the HB angels. I would like to have a couple of males.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on November 25, 2016, 07:23:28 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2016, 07:04:10 PM

He was a fine looking ram that I wanted to breed, but he had problems that were built into all the rams I had. One by one they would start sitting on the bottom with a swim bladder deflation I think, then bloat and death. Water quality didn't matter. Some were getting 50-70% daily WCs and were just as likely to suffer that fate. That's one reason I have given up on domestic rams... they are weak, although Larry Bugg I think has some good ones. I decided to go with wild instead.

I'm keeping an eye on Discus Origins, he should have the pre-order list with some wild RSG's in a few days. I'm badly tempted... with my luck I'd get all females like I got all males with the HB angels. I would like to have a couple of males.

Try Mike Gibbs....aka river11....he does some EBrams.....I believe  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I must my eye on Discus Origins.  I need male RSG's in the worst way.  I'm not crazy about that importer, though.

wallace

Jon, I'll keep Mike in mind if I should be looking in that direction, but for now I'm going to tinker with wild ones and see how it goes. I have always been attracted to the more subtle colors and IMO better shape of wild fish.

Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on November 25, 2016, 07:44:13 PM
Jon, I'll keep Mike in mind if I should be looking in that direction, but for now I'm going to tinker with wild ones and see how it goes. I have always been attracted to the more subtle colors and IMO better shape of wild fish.

|^|..I'm not sure what others he works with tho....wilds sound like the way to go tho...
Jon