• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

Wild Rams

Started by wallace, November 22, 2016, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

I have 12 new Rams and they all look OK. I made the hour long trip to the UPS depot in town, and they are floating.

The bag temp was down to 72... could be worse considering its a cold day. There were heat packs and 1/2" Styrofoam.

If I can get some decent pics, I'll post them later. They are much smaller than I expected.

Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on November 22, 2016, 04:51:03 PM
I have 12 new Rams and they all look OK. I made the hour long trip to the UPS depot in town, and they are floating.

The bag temp was down to 72... could be worse considering its a cold day. There were heat packs and 1/2" Styrofoam.

If I can get some decent pics, I'll post them later. They are much smaller than I expected.

...good...they made it safely... ;D   looking forward to the pics.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Sorry that they're smaller than advertised.  You can take care of them.  You've done it before,  They'll grow.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

They aren't much shorter than advertized, just skinny. I need to fatten them up. They might be stunted some, but that's okay... to paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines, "Its the genes what do the breedin' Charlie, the fish aint got nothin' to do wid it."

They should color up some more after today.

They were already fighting in the shipping bags... spunky little devils.
Dan

Mugwump

...wow....those are very nice.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wallace

Started them right away on BBS... they aren't too big for it. I put salt water in the BBS hatchery tank, I'll go ahead and grow out some shrimp in there. It seems like it takes forever for the shrimp to get any size to them, but its no trouble so why not.

Dan

wallace

A couple of them looked pretty bad on arrival, wasn't sure theyd make it, but they are all looking much better now. Eat like pigs. The shrimp are just the right size now, and they get worms and a little flake too. The sun hit the tank this morning, tried to get a picture and they all hid behind the filter. Tonight they were chasing shrimp and didn't care.
Dan

Mugwump

...now those are nice.... |^|
Jon

wallace

After 7 weeks I haven't seen much growth, maybe none at all. Haven't seen any pairing so they probably need to mature some.

I dropped the TDS to 20 and the pH to 5.9 to see if they do anything. I might need to shroud the tank, I walk thru here 20-30 times a day and they zip lightning fast into the back corner every time. They don't mind me doing things above the water, but anything to the side causes a freakout. They are just as nervous now about movement as the first day in the tank.

Dan

LizStreithorst

I don't no nothin' about wild fish.  You may want to PM Pat.  How are you lowering your pH?  I hope it's not with chemicals.  Try putting a piece of cardboard on the front and one side of their tank.  It'll give them a safe place until they get used to your routine.

wallace

The wild rams probably take longer than wild discus to get used to me. They really like new water coming in, maybe I'll put a HOB on the tank for some current.

I'm using RO so a little bit of peat is all it takes. These guys don't necessarily come from blackwater with really low pH. I think the TDS is more important.

I think Pat got some wild rams last year and during QT they showed with Lymphocystis (sp?) and had to be culled.
Dan

LizStreithorst

You know more that I do.  Although Pat had to cull her's she knows wild fish and is an honest adviser.  Good to hear that you're not using chemicals to lower pH.  I figured you knew better...Have you tried the tea in their tank?  It would be a good thing to try in this case.

wallace

Yep, I've been giving them rooibos off and on, I forget some days. I don't know their age, so it might be a matter of waiting... if they don't show signs of pairing after some more waiting I'll ask Pat for some ideas.
Dan

Rjb3

What are you feeding them?