• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 02:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Good tip on calking

Started by LizStreithorst, November 20, 2016, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I heard this on a locally produced call in program on my NPR affiliate.  They have experts giving advice on their area of expertise and sometimes folks call in with excellent tips.  A guy called in and said that when you caulk you can use plastic shopping bags to wipe the silicone off your fingers. 

This is the first resealing job I have ever done where I didn't end up with silicone all over my britches, a pile of paper towels and a mess still on my fingers.  My silicone smoothing finger is as clean as it would be had it never touched silicone!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 20, 2016, 11:50:24 AM
I heard this on a locally produced call in program on my NPR affiliate.  They have experts giving advice on their area of expertise and sometimes folks call in with excellent tips.  A guy called in and said that when you caulk you can use plastic shopping bags to wipe the silicone off your fingers. 

This is the first resealing job I have ever done where I didn't end up with silicone all over my britches, a pile of paper towels and a mess still on my fingers.  My silicone smoothing finger is as clean as it would be had it never touched silicone!

...dang....I gotta remember that...silicone can get messy even when you try to be careful using it....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I'll try that next time. Every year in October I have to go around and squirt about 8 tubes of silicone on the old window seams to keep the wind out. I use damp rags and my bare fingers and get it all over myself.

Then in the spring I take a knife and rip it all out again. Ahhh the joy of having an old house.
Dan

LizStreithorst

With an old house you get the beauty and charm of something unique.  You also get a new project waiting for you when you've finished the last one.  You need either deep pockets or know-how or both.  We have some beautiful old Southern houses down my way.  I'm glad that there are people who care about them.

BillT

Sounds like an interesting technique Liz.
Too bad our area doesn't do plastic shopping bags anymore.

LizStreithorst

Y'all are smart there in Oregon.  Plastics do a lot of harm.  You might try Saran wrap.

wallace

We had the plastic bag ban on the ballot last week and it passed. Took effect immediately.

In Ireland there were so many plastic bags stuck in the trees and bushes some parliament guy proposed making plastic bags the national flower.
Dan

waterboy

A plastic spoon works better than fingers.  Much more consistent seam and easier to clean up. Just toss it when you are done.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.