• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 167
Total: 168

Blue Halfback Project

Started by Babers, October 25, 2016, 06:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on October 25, 2016, 06:22:32 PM
I re-started this project. Pls check out this post. Thanks.

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=34229

BOOMBA !!!!....way to go !....keep us up to date on your progress, please  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I wish you the greatest luck.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Babers

Thanks Jon and Liz. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Joel

Babers

Okay....an update...

First batch are just over 5 weeks old. None of them turned yet. I only have just over a dozen left after culling. Hopefully in a week or 2, I will see some changes

The second batch are peasize (3weeks old) right now. I did cull over half already since I probably had at least 400 babies to start with. I will cull about 50% again in about 2 weeks.

Third batch are over a week old.

Joel

Babers

After over a year, my HB het pb finally have fry. Based on the genetic calculator, 25% of them are Blue HB, 50% HB will carry pb, and 25% will only be HB. It was a good size batch, so I split them in 2 rearing jars. They went free swimming last night. First meal this morning.

The plan will be to raise only the Expressing Blue HB, cull the rest. The operative word would be "expressing". We'll see what happens.
Joel

Babers

Joel

Mugwump

...nice......here's hoping you get a bunch  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

pwsusi

Congrats and nice work on the project. I'm working on the same project actually...i have several tanks dedicated to growing out juveniles from a few pairs that are throwing 100% halfblack het pb (mix of blushing, ghost and regular halfblack, and mix of standard and veil). I'd be interested in some of the non-expressing especially if you're just going to toss them. Either that or we should trade at some point.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Babers

A lot of time and patience. I'm anticipating a mixture of veil and regular on the babies also. Thank Paul.
Joel

LizStreithorst

You are so far ahead of me.  I wish you continued success.  My half black project is not at a stand still but if my next trick doesn't work I'll give up on half blacks altogether.   I''m tired of beating my head against a brick wall.  I've had it with fish making me suffer!  This is a hobby.  It's supposed to be fun.

Babers

Thanks Liz. it took a lot of patience for me. This was about 5 years on/off in the making for me. I'm planning on doing what you did with your halfblacks in the hopes that they will express. I've always like the challenge, that's why I do this...and didn't want to waste the time I already put into it. Goodluck with your project. Hope they parent-raise for you.

Joel

Babers

From Egg to today....31 days. Just over pea size. My first Halfblack from the batch.

Joel

Babers

Since the babies are starting to turn, I wanted to make sure that the blues have enough room and not get crowded. So I culled all the non-pb....including the fish that's posted on previous post.

Now I wait some more....
Joel

LizStreithorst

I'm impressed.  You make excellent breeding decisions.  Why did you decide to cull rather than sell the non-pb? 

All my breeding projects are on hold for now.  I haven't sold any of my hb's.  They're in tanks with hard water with other Angels.  I haven't given up on them, just taking a break from focusing on them. 

I wish you the greatest success.