• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144

My Neighbor, Jack

Started by LizStreithorst, October 22, 2016, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This was so kind that I couldn't help but tell about it.  A bit of backstory...

When I first moved back home, my neighbor bought around 40 acres of ravine and river front from me.  It gave me enough to build my house and get my business started.  A couple of years ago I got low on money again and asked Jack if he wanted to buy some good land.  At the time, his grand son was married and doing well.  Jack bought 6 1/6 acres from me and gave it to him.  Then the kid got on drugs, turned to shit, his wife left him, and the kid was stealing from him and other people.  I commiserated with Jack and Judy through the whole ordeal.  Jack managed to get possession of the house the kid was living in, which Jack built by himself with his own hands and the land.  (it's a long story how he managed it).  The kid who was raised right but turned rotten has gotten what he deserves....nothing! 

I had thought about asking Jack if he would be willing to lease my pasture land back to me if I had it fenced.  (My horses need more than 1 1/2 acres.  My two acre pasture is nothing but perennial weeds with little grass.  It needs to be totally renovated.)  I didn't ask because I need to save up for materials and labor.  Today Jack stopped me as I was coming home from work.  He asked if I wanted to use the land for my horses.  He said that he had a bunch of T posts I could use and even a bunch of insulators.  All I'd need to buy was wire.  He made like it was no big deal  He said that it would be less work for him because the horses would keep the grass down and he wouldn't have to bush hog. 

Dennis says I lead a charmed life.  It sure hasn't seemed that way for my entire life.  But sometimes, like when Jack bought my land to get me back started in life, and today when he gave me something that I didn't even ask for, I feel that I live a charmed life. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

Good deal Liz. Your lucky to have neighbors like him. You need to bake a thank you cake or something like that for him

Mugwump

Jack sounds like one hell of a nice guy.......good for you...yup
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Heckuva deal. Free feed it sounds like... all you need to do is bang some posts in the ground and hang wire.  |^|
Dan

LizStreithorst

The fish room project will have to wait, I guess.  It's so dry here the horses need the extra land now.  I'll whack in posts and make a half assed fence for the time being.  When I get money saved up I'll have Mr. Sharp's guys come and plant strong braced wooden posts and hang a couple of gates (I already have 2 8'gates I am no longer using.).  If Jack and Judy are doing this for me, the least I can do is give them a decent fence.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 22, 2016, 07:36:28 PM
The fish room project will have to wait, I guess.  It's so dry here the horses need the extra land now.  I'll whack in posts and make a half assed fence for the time being.  When I get money saved up I'll have Mr. Sharp's guys come and plant strong braced wooden posts and hang a couple of gates (I already have 2 8'gates I am no longer using.).  If Jack and Judy are doing this for me, the least I can do is give them a decent fence.

dang straight.....good neighbors rock !.....you really are hurt'n for rain, huh?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It generally starts raining again in Sept.  We  had one lovely rain in early  September.  July and August are always very dry.  We are now close to the end of  October.  We have a small chance for a drop or two of rain in the next two weeks.  Nothing that will help...It's bad.  All I have is two pet horses to feed.  I can take care of them. 

I feel sorry for all framers who depend on growing grass for hay.  They just harvested their last cutting of summer grass and baled it.  I'm sure it didn't take much time laying cut on the field before it was dry enough to bale.  It won't be good hay.  The winter rye can't come up in dust.  How will the cow/calf people manage?  I understand that it's worse up in the delta where they farm mostly corn and soybeans.