• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 12:06:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 207
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

K1 media

Started by Mugwump, October 18, 2016, 07:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...anyone here using the K1 moving bed filter media?....I've seen Josie use it a lot....realizing that sponge media does filter a bit, where the K1 does not....what advantages are there.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Advantages of moving media is that it is self cleaning which sponge filters are not.
It can also do some filtration in that particles in the water will stick to the bacterial gloop growing on the media.

I think it is mostly used in large aquaculture type installations where they would have a large vat of it going.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 18, 2016, 08:39:34 AM
Advantages of moving media is that it is self cleaning which sponge filters are not.
It can also do some filtration in that particles in the water will stick to the bacterial gloop growing on the media.

I think it is mostly used in large aquaculture type installations where they would have a large vat of it going.

...hence advantage sponge.....it is more effective removing some debris at least..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I think of a sponge filter as just a biofilter, and the siphon hose as the mechanical filter. I haven't ever used K1 but it looks good in a sump for keeping the oxygen saturation up. At my elevation I need to be aware of the O2 level, so if I set up a sump I might try a tumbling media.

Dan