• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 03:59:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 162
Total: 162

What my Mystery snails have been up to

Started by LizStreithorst, October 12, 2016, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I don't know what's up with this.  I generally get a few egg cases every Spring.  I got to wondering if the snails were seasonal breeders.  Suddenly since mid September they've been having a snail orgy.  I see babies on the glass and plants and I counted 22 egg cases above water level in my 125. 

I have been able to give away 9 snails at the shop just by showing folks what all they've been up to.  But hardly anyone down here has an aquarium.  Soon I will be overrun with Mystery snails.  (Yes, I know that I could just knock the egg cases off, but the poor dears all got in the mood at the same time, had a huge party, had a lot of fun, and did a lot of work making their egg nests.  I just can't  huh :( ::)

I actually bought the great great great great great grand parents of these on Aquabid as little guys.  The seller must have been pretty hard up sell snails, but It's illegal for folks to sell sails down here so I had no choice. 

Please y'all, relieve me of some of these.  They are free!!!!!!  What's better than free?  Alas, you'll have to pay shipping.  Adult breeders will be shipped unless you want little guys.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

For some species, I think it is possible to breed enough to fulfill the entire demand of the whole country.
Maybe you need a snail eater.

LizStreithorst

These guys have never been this prolific before now.  It's like I'm having the 100 year Mystery snail bonanza.  Surely you want some.  They won't take over your tank, unless your like me and refuses to remove the huge egg sacks from the glass. 

Heck, they're a great deal.  They're free!!!!!!!

Mugwump

I'm thinking of grabbing a nice box full.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I've never been much interested in snails... but I looked it up and they are native to South America, which means they would fit in the wild discus tank I'm planning. Do discus eat the eggs?
Dan

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on October 12, 2016, 11:50:35 PM
I've never been much interested in snails... but I looked it up and they are native to South America, which means they would fit in the wild discus tank I'm planning. Do discus eat the eggs?

They are much easier to control than any of the other snails....and they get nice size and have colors too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Liz I will take a few. Don't have paypal so would have to send you a postal money order if that would be ok

LizStreithorst

I sent 15 Mug today.  I think that I have between 5 and 7 big ones left.  I have little ones all over but they are still very small.

I don't care how you pay as long as you pay w!w  PM me.