• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

San Andreas fault

Started by Mugwump, September 30, 2016, 01:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

The rumbling started Monday morning deep under the Salton Sea. A rapid succession of small earthquakes ? three measuring above magnitude 4.0 ? began rupturing near Bombay Beach, continuing for more than 24 hours. Before the swarm started to fade, more than 200 earthquakes had been recorded.

The temblors were not felt over a very large area, but they have garnered intense interest ? and concern ? among seismologists. It marked only the third time since earthquake sensors were installed there in 1932 that the area had seen such a swarm, and this one had more earthquakes than the events of 2001 and 2009.

The quakes occurred in one of California?s most seismically complex areas. They hit in a seismic zone just south of where the mighty San Andreas fault ends. It is composed of a web of faults that scientists fear could one day wake up the nearby San Andreas from its long slumber.

The San Andreas fault?s southernmost stretch has not ruptured since about 1680 ? more than 330 years ago, scientists estimate. And a big earthquake happens on average in this area once every 150 or 200 years, so experts think the region is long overdue for a major quake.

The swarm actually increased the likelihood of a much more major quake in Southern California, at least temporarily.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, for the seven-day period following Tuesday, the chances of a magnitude-7 or greater earthquake being triggered on the southern San Andreas fault are as high as 1 in 100 and as low as 1 in 3,000. The chances diminish over time.

Experts said it?s important to understand that the chance of the swarm triggering a big one, while small, was real.

?This is close enough to be in that worry zone,? seismologist Lucy Jones said of the location of the earthquake swarm. ?It?s a part of California that the seismologists all watch.?

The swarm began just after 4 a.m. Monday, starting earthquakes three to seven miles deep underneath the Salton Sea.

The biggest earthquakes hit later that morning, a 4.3, and then a pair later at night, another 4.3 followed by a 4.1. There was another burst of activity on Tuesday night.

The earthquakes hit in a sparsely populated area, less than four miles away from Bombay Beach, population 171, sitting on the edge of the Sonoran Desert.

When swarms hit this area ? the northern edge of the so-called Brawley Seismic Zone ? it?s enough to give earthquake experts heartburn. And there?s reason for that.

Just 12 hours after a 6.3 earthquake hit south of the Salton Sea in 1987, an even larger temblor, a 6.6, ruptured six miles away ? the Superstition Hills earthquake.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-swarm-20160930-snap-story.html
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

This is the website I use to check on quakes. You can click on individual earthquakes and get all the technical data. There was one under Mt Shasta last week, the little kind you sleep through.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 30, 2016, 02:24:09 PM
This is the website I use to check on quakes. You can click on individual earthquakes and get all the technical data. There was one under Mt Shasta last week, the little kind you sleep through.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/

...thanks, I have that somewhere, I think?  huh   I was a geology major 63-65....we explored most the SoCal faults....fun excursions... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I was thinking about San Andreas the other day...who's fault was that anyway? :P
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 01, 2016, 06:33:10 PM
I was thinking about San Andreas the other day...who's fault was that anyway? :P

Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on October 01, 2016, 06:41:46 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on October 01, 2016, 06:33:10 PM

THAT's what I was looking for...!!!!  |^| mim
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron