• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 123
Total: 124

Bare bottom tanks...

Started by Mugwump, September 30, 2016, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I'm seriously considering making a bunch of tanks bare bottom....especially a few breeder tanks.....Thinking that it'll cut down on a lot of the maintenance time.....

I know a lot of you folks have BB tanks.....so what's the disadvantages?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 30, 2016, 08:31:12 AM
   I'm seriously considering making a bunch of tanks bare bottom....

LOL  Just shortly after telling Liz I didn't run many BB tanks, I was over-run with pleco fry.  I've set-up about 18 BB grow-out tanks..... LOL   So much easier to feed bottom-feeder fry in set-ups like this.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on September 30, 2016, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 30, 2016, 08:31:12 AM
   I'm seriously considering making a bunch of tanks bare bottom....

LOL  Just shortly after telling Liz I didn't run many BB tanks, I was over-run with pleco fry.  I've set-up about 18 BB grow-out tanks..... LOL   So much easier to feed bottom-feeder fry in set-ups like this.

Dennis

..yes it is....the only BB tanks I have are for bn's and cory's...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

They are so much easier. But I have a couple of angels that seem disoriented by it. One tank I forgot to paint the bottom and then had to set it up in a hurry. I meant to at least put some pillow batting underneath but forgot, so I threw some sand in it.
Dan

waterboy

I don't think the BNs care but the cories would prefer a sand bottom.  I have sand in my cory tanks. Love to watch them go up to their eyeballs nose down into the sand  looking for food.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

All but one of my tanks is BB. It is easier much to clean but the downside is you can also see the dirt much easier too so you better clean. lol. I keep Angels, Cories, BN's, L183s, L340 and even my Altums in BB tanks with unpainted bottoms and they are all fine with it. The Angles needed to adjust to it though.

I have a 55 with sand and it looks great after I clean it but it is a pain to clean and the glass gets scratched very easily. 
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

The only draw back I can see is that they are not pretty and people will ask you why there isn't anything in the tank for the fish to play with wfwf
Always move forward. Never look back.