• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 157
Total: 157

What do you think?

Started by LizStreithorst, September 28, 2016, 03:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Please click on this thread and look at the pic of the 7th fish.  It's a white faced red.  It's scales appear to have a pattern.  Look behind the pectoral fin.  The scales appear to be swirled.  There's something going on above the lateral line, too.  I've never seen this in any fish.  Do you think that the pic has been photo shopped or could this be real?  http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126039-Going-to-USA!#post1232209
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

That is one great looking fish Liz. I don't think it's been photo shopped but then I am not a Discus person. I do know what looks good to me and that fish is a beauty. 
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 28, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
That is one great looking fish Liz. I don't think it's been photo shopped but then I am not a Discus person. I do know what looks good to me and that fish is a beauty.

+1.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I already know that.  Have any of you ever seen a swirl pattern in scales.  I don't think it's real.

wallace

I looked at that fish this morning, but not as closely as you did. What's the deal with the lateral line? Do you think an injury could heal with swirled scales like that?
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 28, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
I already know that.  Have any of you ever seen a swirl pattern in scales.  I don't think it's real.

There are several fish in the Amazon basin that grow swirled scales, armored to protect against such as piranha ...could it simply (no pun intended) be a morph...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I just looked too, IMO it is real, but I don't like it and I think it looks like a scale and lat. line deformity.  Sorry,
Barb

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on September 28, 2016, 06:33:48 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 28, 2016, 06:06:23 PM

There are several fish in the Amazon basin that grow swirled scales, armored to protect against such as piranha ...could it simply (no pun intended) be a morph...?

It could indeed be.  Personally, I think it looks way cool,

BillT

Looks to me to be a disruption of the normal patterning of the lateral line and the scales.

Normally, in development, the primordium of the lateral line migrates from the back of the head (in the skin, just behind the developing ear) back to the tail, dragging along the first nerve axons that innervate the lateral line and dropping off little bits of pre-lateral line cells as it goes. This should result in fairly straight line of lateral line sensory elements going back to the tail.

The picture shows a big swirl to the pattern which could have been due to an injury after the basic linear pattern was laid down.
An injury or disruption to the pattern in the embryo just before the primordium migrated through might explain the swirl, but how the front end of the pattern gets connected to the back part is not so clear.

A mutation causing this is possible but might be more difficult to explain. I heard an angelfish breeder once that lateral line mutants are not uncommon.

It would be interesting to see what the other side of the fish looks like.
If it were due to mutation, you would expect to find similar pattern disruptions on both sides of the fish.
If it were due to an injury, than you would not expect to find it on both sides.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on September 28, 2016, 10:43:47 PM
Looks to me to be a disruption of the normal patterning of the lateral line and the scales.

Normally, in development, the primordium of the lateral line migrates from the back of the head (in the skin, just behind the developing ear) back to the tail, dragging along the first nerve axons that innervate the lateral line and dropping off little bits of pre-lateral line cells as it goes. This should result in fairly straight line of lateral line sensory elements going back to the tail.

The picture shows a big swirl to the pattern which could have been due to an injury after the basic linear pattern was laid down.
An injury or disruption to the pattern in the embryo just before the primordium migrated through might explain the swirl, but how the front end of the pattern gets connected to the back part is not so clear.

A mutation causing this is possible but might be more difficult to explain. I heard an angelfish breeder once that lateral line mutants are not uncommon.

Interesting.  It would be cool if it were a mutation.

It would be interesting to see what the other side of the fish looks like.
If it were due to mutation, you would expect to find similar pattern disruptions on both sides of the fish.
If it were due to an injury, than you would not expect to find it on both sides.

Mugwump

huh huh huh huh huh

Were you going to comment on the above post...?
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yes,  It think that it would be way cool if the swirls were a result of a mutation.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 07, 2016, 06:53:04 PM
Yes,  It think that it would be way cool if the swirls were a result of a mutation.

that was my first thought(hope) anyway.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

If it's induced, I have no use for it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 07, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
If it's induced, I have no use for it.

How would/could it be induced ?....
Jon