• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 168
Total: 169

Shipping question

Started by b125killer, March 20, 2013, 07:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I was looking at some fish on AquaBid They were in Thailand. I was wondering what it would cost to ship a fish internationally so I asked. He got back to me and said International shipping cost from Thailand to US transhiper is $5/fish. It takes 1 days to USA and take 1-2 days to your address. I don't understand how it could cost so little to ship a fish internationally. Or do you have to pay more to  US transhiper?
Oh this is the fish I was looking at  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi/?fwguppies&1364809007
Scott

Mugwump

He's linked up with a broker......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

That is true you pay him $5.00 to ship to the USA. When the Trans Shipper get it you then pay for example only:

Express Mail:  Import fees @ $1.20 per fish/ handling @ $2 per fish / shipping box $5 / heat pack $2 / Express Mail $40 / total $

Priority Mail:   Import fees @ $1.20 per fish / handling @ $2 per fish / shipping box $5 / heat pack $2 / Priority Mail $25 / total $

Frank The Plumber

Usually dead or alive and no guarantee either.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on March 20, 2013, 08:08:15 AM
That is true you pay him $5.00 to ship to the USA. When the Trans Shipper get it you then pay for example only:

Express Mail:  Import fees @ $1.20 per fish/ handling @ $2 per fish / shipping box $5 / heat pack $2 / Express Mail $40 / total $

Priority Mail:   Import fees @ $1.20 per fish / handling @ $2 per fish / shipping box $5 / heat pack $2 / Priority Mail $25 / total $

Yeppers, there will be lots of fish shipped from the Thailand location to one broker who reships to the various customers.....think a thousand+ fish at $5 a pop....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

Maybe go on aquaboards and ask about them. They seem to have been around a while.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BallAquatics

Looks like they have good feedback..... they must be doing something right!

Dennis

b125killer

I was more curious as to the cost of shipping I still haven't had a fish shipped to me. I'm lucky to have some great breeders around.
I don't think I like the whole shipping of fish to much. Even with a guarantee that's just for the fish you still have to pay for shipping them again. Most of the time shipping is more than the fish was.
Scott

Mugwump

I think that you'll find that most fish travel very well, if the weather permits and they don't get held up some place en route. During prime shipping weather, there are very few casualties.
Weather like we're having now is a recipe for disaster.
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on March 21, 2013, 06:19:14 AM
Most of the time shipping is more than the fish was.

If you can find what you want locally, by all means buy local.....  that's definitely what I do.  My biggest problem is there's no local outlet for un-named danios around here.  lol

Dennis

BillT

These guys must have a big business bringing in fish or have good connections.
i know that getting a shipment of fish into the US from just about anywhere costs thousands o dollars for either labs or individual people on a one off basis. Most of the problems has to do with customs. There could be a lot more interesting fish in the US if that were not the case since the market seems to be pretty large.
In LA there is a block or two of fish warehouses that are very close to LAX (the main LA airport). They specialize in bringing fish into the country and then distributing them. It is a fascinating place to visit.

Mugwump

We have a few of those fish distribution centers up near O'Hare too. The one out in Bensenville is really great to go through...I used to know the night suoervisor out there, he got us in all the time.
Jon

GeorgeG

Shipping from overseas is not cheap. I am planning on bringing in some wild discus this season and shipping is about $500.00 for 5 boxes. Lucky for me I have someone who is suppose to split the cost with me. Then you need a broker to clear Fish and Wildlife an then Customs so they add a bunch to the cost also. Then you hope there are no DOA's. I hope to have 3 or 4 boxes of wilds for my self just to justify the cost.

BillT

I am surprised how cheap it is George.
Good deal.

b125killer

shipping fish in general isn't cheap. with the cost of shipping i'm surprised that the LFS can sell most fish so cheap. I know they get discounts for the volume but you would think that it's a mind boggling bill.   
Scott