• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 02:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Pot roast cooking ...

Started by Mugwump, March 19, 2013, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...in the oven. My favorite too.....Pot roast rules !!!!!!..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Recipe...??...I make it so many different ways..... ;D..today it's Meat/carrots/onion/potatos/tomato...and a sprig of bay leaf.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Sounds good Jon.  Here is my way:
I use a cooking bag, into it I put a boneless chuck roast, cut up carrots, celery, onion, potato in large pieces, salt and pepper, other spices if wanted, about 1/2 c. water or wine or juice.  Close up bag, poke a few holes in the top, make sure it is in a shallow pan, bake slowly for 2-3 hrs depending on size of meat, about 325-350 degrees.  Open bag, pour out liquid and thicken it some for gravy, may need to add water to it, have a feast.  Always works and tastes great and no mess to clean up, just throw out the bag.
Barb

Mugwump

Yep, sounds good, Barb....I've used bags too....my favorite is on the grill.....sear both sides to seal some juices, then I have an old steel pan, I pop it in the pan with some 'Sweet Baby Ray's' and a few tomatoes....cook for about and hour, then take and sear a little sauce on it..back in the pan and add drained crushed pineapple......maybe a little bit more of the SBR's sauce....cover and cook another couple hours til it starts to really fall apart.....my kids know it as 'Pot Roast Hawaiian'....and it's delicious, I grill, soaked, corn on the cob(husk on) while I'm finishing the meat....
I have a coffee can that I fill with boiling water, then add a few sticks of butter to float on top....pull the corn husk back and dip it in the can, as you slowly pull it out..it coats with butter....Mmmmmmm
Jon

BallAquatics

Roastin' Ears!  Yum Yum Yum.  When I was a kid we used to get field corn, it's only good for roastin' for about a week, and throw it in the camp fire and let it cook.  Best corn I ever ate!  I think it picks up a sweetness from cooking in the husk...

Dennis

Frank The Plumber

I've had field corn. It has to be really early before it loads on starch. About a 10 or 12" ear. After it loads up it's almost sickening to eat, but before that it is really very good. You can soak them in ice cold water and flash freeze them in zip lock bags. That stops the change. If you just pick them and don't freeze them they load up anyways.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 19, 2013, 09:00:45 PM
I've had field corn. It has to be really early before it loads on starch. About a 10 or 12" ear. After it loads up it's almost sickening to eat, but before that it is really very good. You can soak them in ice cold water and flash freeze them in zip lock bags. That stops the change. If you just pick them and don't freeze them they load up anyways.

I never knew that.  The only field corn I've ever eaten was terrible starchy stuff.  My favorite varieties of sweet corn are Merit and Silver Queen.  The have the right balance of starch and sweetness for me.  Silver King is sickeningly sweet.

Frank The Plumber

Some of the varieties are so sweet and starchy I get sick on them too.

I put the pot roast into a covered baking dish, or pot. He hee. Before this I take a bit of A1 maybe a tablespoon or so and rub it into the roast. I put a half of a Killians red ale in the bottom of the pan, water works too. I put one long green onion on the top of the roast and some fresh black pepper, not much and a bit of sea salt. I take two white potatoes, put a hole in them, insert a clove of garlic into each and place them in the pot hole up. Bake it for 1 hour at 350. If you want a rarer roast play with putting the roast in later the spuds need an hour minimum.

Pull the roast and let it sit for 15 minutes before you cut it. I take the spuds and mash them with the garlic in them and the skin on. You can peel the spud easy after it is baked. Mash them well to mix in the baked garlic. A bit of pepper and good to go. The onion is my favorite part.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

LOL...that's an awful small pot roast to be able to cook in an hour.... ;D
Jon

Frank The Plumber

Not the way I like them. I use a smaller roast about 6"x6" and I like the center really rare. I think I buy a nice roast too so it's tender. Mine turn out good if I buy the roast but not so good if I don't. :) Now I have to see which cut I buy.

LizStreithorst

Your pot roast sounds very good, Frank.  I want to know what cut you buy.

Frank The Plumber

I found out I'm using a rump roast. I'm cheating. Ha ha. Turns out nice though. I'm going to keep cheating. :)

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 21, 2013, 08:19:38 PM
I found out I'm using a rump roast. I'm cheating. Ha ha. Turns out nice though. I'm going to keep cheating. :)

A HA !!!!!!..... ;D....
Jon

Frank The Plumber