• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 09:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 182
Total: 182

I need a new setup

Started by GraphicGr8s, August 10, 2016, 10:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Well not really but I want one for mackerel fishing. They like a fast moving lure. Been looking at the Penn Fierce II 8000. 44" of line retrieval for every turn of the handle. Bass Pro has that coupled with a 10' Penn rod. $110. Now how to justify that to the wife.

Anyone have any experience with that reel?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 10, 2016, 10:59:30 PM
Well not really but I want one for mackerel fishing. They like a fast moving lure. Been looking at the Penn Fierce II 8000. 44" of line retrieval for every turn of the handle. Bass Pro has that coupled with a 10' Penn rod. $110. Now had to justify that to the wife.

...good luck...... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 11, 2016, 06:50:11 AM
Well not really but I want one for mackerel fishing. They like a fast moving lure. Been looking at the Penn Fierce II 8000. 44" of line retrieval for every turn of the handle. Bass Pro has that coupled with a 10' Penn rod. $110. Now had to justify that to the wife.

...good luck...... |^|

Some places around here it's $100 for just the reel. It's like getting a free rod. Maybe she'll accept that reasoning?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 11, 2016, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on August 11, 2016, 06:50:11 AM

...good luck...... |^|

Some places around here it's $100 for just the reel. It's like getting a free rod. Maybe she'll accept that reasoning?

.....or just buy it and ask for forgiveness  |^|.....easier than explaining it.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Yeah Jon this post was more for any experience with the reel. I pretty much have it figured on the wife part. My three favorite words in the English language. "I don't care". She gets mad "I don't care".

But I did replace the bathroom fart fan and hung up the blind she's been bugging me about the last 6 months.

While I was lubing and repairing some reels I realized all of them were at least 25 years old. time for one new setup. Then I have to rebuild an old rod I found years ago for the boy. It's a decent rod.
And I still have one blank and all the rigging to build one more rod. Actually I have two sets of rigging because last year I thought about building it and liked the idea of a "blue" rod. So I've got blue rigging and the black. Guess I need to get another blank, eh? Mudhole here I come (a tackle shop/rod building store in Orlando) or Southeast Liquidators if all else fails. They're here in Tampa.
Maybe this winter when it's cooler out in the garage.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

GraphicGr8s

So I got the Penn fierce II 8000 with a 10 pole. $109.99 Tried it out Saturday. Damn big pole. Hard to cast. Might try the reel on a 7 footer.\

No. Didn't get any keepers. Fished 8am - 12. Going to try the Skyway Friday night.