• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 186
Total: 186

styrofoam sheet insulation

Started by b125killer, March 18, 2013, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have been thinking of wrapping my tanks with Styrofoam sheet insulation. I'm hoping it will help keep them warm by cutting the heat lost. most of my tanks are in the lower level and they lose alot of heat it's hard to keep an accurate temp. Is this something that would work or would it be a waste of time and money?
Scott

Frank The Plumber

Try using the thermal reflective bubble wrap available at Menards It works great.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

It looks good but i'll have to go look for it. At there web site the cheapest I seem to find is  16" x 100' Double Bubble Foil/White Insulation. it's $60.00 each and Must be ordered in increments of 3. I do have a few tanks I want to cover but I think that's a bit to much for me.
Scott

PaulineMi

I've half heartedly insulated my basement back room tanks. I use foam board that is carried at craft stores. It comes in assorted colors too. Covers on the tanks help too.

I'm going to try a product called "Reflectix" on my 90 gallon discus tank. It is 5/16" thick, 7 layers of aluminum and some other stuff and comes in a roll. It's supposed to reflect 97% of radiant heat. It's not cheap but neither is my electric bill!

Hopefully this stuff works well. My heat bill went waaaay up since setting up the 75 blackwater tank and the discus arrival. After getting a courtesy call from the electric company (whew...hubby wasn't home that day  ::)) I'm paying attention to heater settings.

The roll I got is 24"x25'

http://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST16025-Staple-Tab-Insulation/dp/B000BQSYRO
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

The thin blue insulation board sold at Lowe's/Menard's works well, easy to cut and a huge package for around $35-$40, if I remember right.....I have some but haven't put it all over yet...one of these days... LOL

Scott next time your down this way, remind me and I'll give you some to try...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I want to close up the fish room and heat the room not the tanks. I would think that would be much cheaper than tank heaters but that's not going to happen any time soon. that's another thing I have been thinking of is the electric bill. It must not be that bad yet Michelle hasn't said anything to me. I'm sure if it ever warms up and we turn on the air she might start to notice.

Thanks Jon Maybe I can make it down this weekend. I just need to stay away from all the sick people at work. It sucks losing your weekend because your sick.   
Scott

BallAquatics

I use this 1-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Expanded Polystyrene Insulated Sheathing to insulate my shipping boxes.  I get it at the local Lowes store for $8.00 a sheet.  Works great and the price can't be beat!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15358-46086-451156_0__?productId=3365576&Ntt=insulated+sheathing&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dinsulated%2Bsheathing&facetInfo=

Dennis

b125killer

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 18, 2013, 08:05:40 AM
I use this 1-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Expanded Polystyrene Insulated Sheathing to insulate my shipping boxes.  I get it at the local Lowes store for $8.00 a sheet.  Works great and the price can't be beat!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15358-46086-451156_0__?productId=3365576&Ntt=insulated+sheathing&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dinsulated%2Bsheathing&facetInfo=

Dennis

That's exactly what I was thinking about using
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on March 18, 2013, 08:11:41 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking about using

It's very good insulation at a full inch thick, and you won't go broke buying it either.  I've got a utility knife where the blade extends to a couple of inches, using that and a drywall square it cuts like butter.  It's not messy like cutting styro foam either.

Dennis