• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

quarantining invertebrates?

Started by big b, July 06, 2016, 09:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

I have always wondered if I should quarantine shrimp and snails. It has never been an issue before because I have never had many snails or shrimp so I didnt have to worry about it. But now I am planning to havemany shrimp in my new 55. Should I quarantine them before putting them in my tank?

BillT

Snails can be intermediate host for a variety of worms and flukes.
If they come in infected, they could infect your fish.

Crayfish are able to harbor the chytrid fungus (killing frogs all over the world).
This makes it difficult to clear an area of the fungus so frogs could be reintroduced after they die off in an area.

big b

That would be bad. Thank you for warning me about that. I usually just plopped them in the tank after I got them

BillT

It would not normally be a problem unless you are collecting fish or snails or what ever from the wild, or from places with infected fish. Most stores don't have fish with flukes , tapeworms, etc.

You could also buy them, but not introduce them. Breed a new batch of snails and introduce the new ones if you have concerns.

big b

I am looking at nerite snails, so I couldn't breed them really.

BillT

I would think that if the source of them is good, then they should be.
But for a commercial product their source would have to include everyplace they went through, probably from a fish farm or an importer. That's a lot of places something can go wrong.
Getting them directly from a reputable grower of snails (with no fish present) would probably be the safest source.

big b

Well, i could tell you a story about what happened and what I did, but I'm just gonna tell you the short version. I got 7 nerite snails from petco. 5 zebra nerites and 2 red spot nerites. I'm telling the story in my 55 gallon thread, which I'm turning into a journal I guess  ;D