• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Hypancistrus zebra - Zebra plecos

Started by BallAquatics, March 12, 2013, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Anyone ever kept these fish or know someone who does?  From the info on the WEB they seem to be fairly easy to keep & spawn.

Dennis

greydragon

if they are so easy to spawn and grow why do they cost so much???

BallAquatics

From what I've read, they don't have very may fry per spawn.  Something like 8 to 15.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 12, 2013, 02:10:32 PM
From what I've read, they don't have very may fry per spawn.  Something like 8 to 15.

Dennis

Yep, right on the money, Dennis....and the survival rate isn't all that good either. The guys that make any money on those have multiple pairs....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

They're beauties. Are you going to try your hand at them?

There are so many gorgeous plecos out there. Not being a breeder I hate spending so much on a fish that hides most of the time.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 12, 2013, 06:23:16 PM

I'm seriously considering it.  I've never been a big pleco fan, but these guys are not your typical pleco.  They stay small and don't bother plants.  They are stunningly beautiful to see in-the-flesh.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 12, 2013, 07:28:29 PM
Quote from: PaulineMi on March 12, 2013, 06:23:16 PM

I'm seriously considering it.  I've never been a big pleco fan, but these guys are not your typical pleco.  They stay small and don't bother plants.  They are stunningly beautiful to see in-the-flesh.

Dennis

The dwarf bristle nosed type ..aka BN's don't get big.....and I agree, they're perfect for tanks, planted, or not.....I even put BN fry in with my small angel fry, and raise them together...the BN's scarf the angel fry leftovers.....win/win and keeps bacteria down from rotting food...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I have seen these in picts and have always wanted one, but like everyone say's they are to high priced for me

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on March 12, 2013, 07:59:26 PM
.....but like everyone say's they are to high priced for me

I hear that!  I'd never pay the price just to have one in my tank...  I'm thinking more along the lines of investing in a small group with the intent that they pay off down the road.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 12, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
The dwarf bristle nosed type ..aka BN's don't get big.....and I agree, they're perfect for tanks, planted, or not.....I even put BN fry in with my small angel fry, and raise them together...the BN's scarf the angel fry leftovers.....win/win and keeps bacteria down from rotting food...

What's the scientific name of these guys Jon?  They sound like a great clean-up crew for fry tanks.  I must admit that I'm a bit out-of-step with the current plecos.  I remember the plecos from back in the 60's & 70's.  Fine while they were small but brutes when they grew up... nothing was safe, plants or small fish!

Dennis

Mugwump

Dennis, there are so many varieties that they are listed by 'L' numbers...here's a link over to 'Planetcatfish' 'L' catalog, with pictures....have fun, it'll make your head spin....LOL...so many BN's, so little time..... ;D

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16
Jon

BallAquatics

Believe it or not, I've spent a good bit of time over there lately.  LOL

I guess I should have been clearer, what is the scientific name of the ones you are keeping and using for a clean-up crew?

Dennis

PaulineMi

Ancistrus temminckii

Here's what they do when another fish gets too close and what causes them to get caught in a net.

Happy pleco:
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

BallAquatics

Nice photo's Pauline!  What were you poking that poor fish with to make it do that???  lol lol   ;)

Dennis