• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 162
Total: 163

Mom is conconcerned

Started by Charlotte, April 28, 2016, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

I'm not concerned in the least.  I have a wonderful new heart and my beautiful black shiny body is a sight to behold. 

She's worried because she will be taking a road trip in July and she feels the need for gauges.  She doesn't trust the idiot lights that I was born with.  She may have a point.  When my heart died and her nice towing man hauled me into Chip, Chip told her that all my oil had fallen out.  Neither she nor I  are sure we believe him because she checked my oil just a couple of days before.  Still, even though all my warning lights come on when she starts me up my oil light did not come on when my heart failed. 

Mom likes to keep me as original as possible.  I like that too.  Chip has a dash with gauges that he tried to put in once, but he found out that the plug ins didn't fit my basic self.  She wants to go to Chip and find out how much it would cost to wire it in by hand.  That's what I want her to do.  She knows that will cost a lot because wiring electrical is a huge PITA,  but I am Charlotte and I say that I'm worth it.   

Please tell my dear mother who loves me so much that she will be happier in the long run if she does this rather than fix me up with some aftermarket gauges that will work but I won't feel proud of.  I am Charlotte, the automotive love of her life.  I know best what will make her happy.
Keep on Truckin'

GeorgeG

Tell your Mom; Chip can put in a mechanical one no wiring needed. A mechanical one will just have a plastic tube in the kit that reads the oil pressure right from your new heart. And if was me doing the job I would replace the plastic line with a copper line. Mechanical it a whole lot better since you are getting a direct oil pressure reading from the heart not relying on on the electrical one that I don't care for when adding them to my own cars.

LizStreithorst

George, that's what the kid at the oil change place told me to do.  I was unsure about it because it's not original and I like to keep Charlotte with original equipment.  BUT  It is better than replacing the entire dash with a dash with gauges because the readings are more reliable.  Besides, I'm sure that it will be way less expensive.  The oil change kid told me that the gauges look clean...that they mount in the place to place to the left of the windshield where they are easily visible. 

Chip refers to all after market stuff as "that aftermarket shit".  But it's not shit if it's better and less expensive than original.  I'll stop by Autozone when I'm in town Tuesday.  A lot of the guys there know Charlotte by name.  I need to do something...Charlotte's idiot lights come on when I crank her, but the oil one didn't come on  when her heart was on the verge of throwing a rod.  If her temperature light had worked when her previous owned had her he wouldn't have installed an ugly aftermarket temperature gauge.

Thanks.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GeorgeG

Aftermarket is as good or better than orignal manufactures stuff and it is all made over in China anyway. I buy automotive parts all day long and nothing comes from Chevy, Ford, Dodge or anyone else. They just box it in the own container. Chip just wants to sell you a high priced item so it can make more money on the mark up.

LizStreithorst

No, it's not that with Chip.  He likes old vehicles.  He has stuff from old vehicles at his dads farm. (His dad and grand dad were mechanics, too).  He took a dash of of an old junker that had gauges rather than idiot lights.  He spent a lot of time taking out my old dash and putting it back in when he found out that the plug-ins didn't match up.  Time is money and Chip got no money for all his trouble.  Chip isn't perfect.  He is kinda lazy for a young guy (he olny works 4 days a week) and he picks and chooses the jobs he takes (he sent Charlotte across the street for her heart transplant.  He said, "it takes too much damn time".  The guys across the street to a good job,  and take anything that is thrown at them.   I just prefer Chip.    He won't hire a helper.  He works in shorts and flip flops rather than a tidy uniform with his name sewn on the shirt.  He's just more to my taste.  He's a cool guy and I'm a cool little old lady w!w
Always move forward. Never look back.