• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 163
Total: 165

craigslist fish pond

Started by P4Angels, March 05, 2013, 02:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

While searching through craigslist we found an old 1970's satellite disc (larger the life one).   Laid it on cinder blocks leveled it added water from our water changes to it.  Through in some Sarasa Comets (See Below).

I looked on youtube and found hundreds of ideas for a filter system and ended up with a bucket fill of lava rock siting on top of and other bucket in the middle of the pond.  That circulate the water and provides them with enough aeration.

For plants we had water lilies, frog bit, and duckweed.   When we cleaned it out last fall we had frog bit with 12 inches roots on them.

Our only incident last year was when one of out dachshunds decided he wanted to get a drink and fell in took us a minute to stop laughing to rescue the him poor guy.  Lori and I still chuckle about that from time to time. 

We took them out for the winter and have had them in the fish room.  When the weather permits and the temperature in the Dish is above 50 degrees we will accumulate them and send them out for there second season. 
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Cool...did you paint it blue or green??..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's such a good ideal. How many gallons is it?
Scott

Barb

Good recycling!  Did you line it or paint it before putting in water and fish?  Can we see a pic in the Spring?
Barb

P4Angels2

Funny thing is...it had a picture of something blue already on it..we just started dumping our fish room water into it...then got a few of those cute little comets...threw them in the "pond" and for about 2 months we didn't see any sign of them...then 1 day out of the blue I threw in some pond food and sure enough they started to surface to eat.....we were pleasantly surprised..we had been adding excess frog bit and some duck weed in to protect them from birds and other critters...and then we gave a way some of the frog bit and come to find out we gave away 6 little new born fishes too.....but then we weren't sure so we pulled them in for the winter and are itching to get them back outside....the tank they are in is stinky but they seem happy and content and are pigs when it comes to feeding time!!! Never thought that I would like gold fish but these guys are worth the fun of watching how active they are!!!