• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Another move

Started by P4Angels, March 05, 2013, 01:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Well Lori and I decided that we need more room for babies in our fish room.  We purchased 4 additional 10 gallon thanks.  3 for her Cory cats groups (I'm sure she will chime in with the kinds). Also we felt that it was to hot in the fish room for your shrimp tanks and water to give them a cooler accommodations.   So the move then to the kitchen counter.  and looks like:

Side 1

Full view

Shrimp tanks

We mounted the light fixture on the back of our 120 gallon hood, its made out of PVC, painted it black. We ran the shop light with LED fixtures (from Costco, with local rebate cost us $9.00 each)I wanted it to look good and functional so we decided to run the lights up and over and zip-ties them and the desired height over the tanks.  We like it and I need to add a center brace so it does not bow in the middle. 

The green in the back of the tanks is for growing a wall of moss.  Lori loved that idea and have seen it starting to come through.  Cant wait to see it in a few months.

Question comments and concerns please let me know.  Thanks for letting me share..
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Nice..interesting how those tanks start to migrate..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's cool Do you have tanks in every room in your house? 
Scott

Barb

Can you explain how the wall of moss is done please?  I may want to copy you!
Barb

P4Angels2

I have to admit that I don't want tanks in every room of the house!!! to much work for water changes......

the moss wall is made using the plastic canvas for craft projects..(Michael's craft store .79 cents a sheet) we took and divided up the Java moss that we had we spread it out over the canvas then used zip ties to hold 2 pieces of the canvas together...then we took and pushed the bottom under the gravel or you can use suction cups to hold it on the back of the tank. Funny now that we have done this ;D we see little spreads of this in our LFS!!!!  ::)

the little critters in the tanks are from left to right

There are orange laser cories and they are just gorgeously orange...then there are Bilochii cories.  Blue Velvet Shrimp (with more coming) Red Rili Shrimp and tons shrimplets then there are the Super Tiger Shrimp in with the Corydora Habrosus finally Blueberry Shrimp with pygmy cories!!

I just hope the eco symptoms aren't to upset and lose to many of the shrimp!  :o

of course now in place of 2 15 gal tanks that took up room in the "fish room" there is now a 2.5 a 10 gal 20 gal and then an 8 gal that was for red cherry shrimp but for some unknown reason we lost all of them.....but now there are fish that have been placed on the cares list http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html ...yes we are now this list with Simpsonichthys constanciae aka another breed of Killie fish....

almost forgot...we have another 10 set up for Elegan corydora fish just not in the picture.....we were lucky enough to get these little guys/gals when they were little bitty and are almost full grown...

P4Angels

Java moss wall:

Photo when its grown in:
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Mugwump

My suggestion is to use a glue gun instead of sewing it.....quicker and easier....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on March 05, 2013, 01:51:18 PM
My suggestion is to use a glue gun instead of sewing it.....quicker and easier....

My only concern with that, would be the glue degrading after time.  That is why we used zip ties.  Thread will break down over time also.   

Barb

Thanks for the info.  Now I can hardly wait to make one myself, as soon as my Java Moss grows enough to take some of it to put between black plastic needlepoint canvas.  I wonder if fishing line comes in black?
Barb

P4Angels2

Not sure but we used white zip ties and they aren't very visible

b125killer

How well does Java moss grow under LED lights?I have a Marineland Single Bright. I haven't been able to grow plants under it. But I haven't tried the moss. It's growing great in the 55 planted tank. It's taking over a piece of holey rock that I put too close to the moss. I just have that moss on rocks at the bottom of the tank. If it will grow in the tanks with LED I would like to do that too.   
Scott

P4Angels2

you can see what we use on the tanks right now and they all have led lights in them...and you can see its doing great!

b125killer

Thanks I'm going to try it. It would be nice to have live plants in the tanks with LED. 
Scott

P4Angels2

Aron has made most of the lighting that we have with gutters and cfl lighting and most of the low light plants are all going crazy!! we have a few regular lights that the plants do well in but the shrimp tanks were the most creative way we could think of to light them up and still have plants for us to see them....

b125killer

My first led light I had a amazon sword in the tank. It didn't die but it didn't grow ether. I think if I left the led on that tank much longer it would of. It's doing much better in the tank with the 6500K T5 lights
Scott