• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Unicorn poop cory's

Started by shatanka, February 27, 2013, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatanka

OK...I saw these on AB and was floored by the price on them - $2250 is all!  But, wow, are they something beautiful!  Very unusual, and I guess very rare! So if any spots any Unicorn poop for cheap let me know, I want one! lol  ( I am not sure if I am doing this right with inserting an image, hope it comes out right?!)

shatanka

OH, I forgot to add- their scientific name is Corydoras pantanalensis.

PaulineMi

Wow!  That is gorgeous. Are they called unicorn poop on AB?  Odd.

I've got to go over to AB to check this out.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

'Unicorn poop'....???...do they crap horns or something??..odd name
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Oh, it's a group of 10....and they get large too.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

wow, thats to rich for this poor fishkeepers blood

shatanka

Quote from: ilroost on February 27, 2013, 07:14:16 PM
wow, thats to rich for this poor fishkeepers blood

Ok, I just figured it out- if we each pitch only in $562.50, we can each get 2.5 of these little beauties between Mug, Pauline, ilroost, and I, so far anyway!!  lol  What do we do with the .5 pc though? lol 

JR

Love to have them but Patty would kill me if I bid on them.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

He says its our very last chance for these fish as we may never see them again in our lives. That's quite a statement!  Its all quite strange.

If we all buy some cory unicorn poopers could we breed them and make our money back?

That is just a hilarious name. My husband wanted to know what I'm laughing at. What a hoot.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

That's the prettiest cory I have ever seen.  Imagine spending that on a fish and having it die?  Talk about a bad day...
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 27, 2013, 08:09:14 PM
He says its our very last chance for these fish as we may never see them again in our lives. That's quite a statement!  Its all quite strange.

If we all buy some cory unicorn poopers could we breed them and make our money back?

That is just a hilarious name. My husband wanted to know what I'm laughing at. What a hoot.

The caveat may be that they're snot to breed. The seller is a very well known cory expert, in his own right........one of the best..

http://msjinkzd.com/news/a-visit-with-frank-falcone-what-a-fish-room/

Frank is one of the most accomplished breeders of Corydoradinae catfish in the world, having spawned more than 60 species to date, and is the only person to have spawned Corydoras sp. CW016 (aka Corydoras sp. "Teniente"), yet he remains humble saying that if he can breed corys, anyone can, and his talk is geared to getting you to do just that.

Frank is a prolific seller of corys and other fish including guppies and other livebearers, characins, and cyprinids on AquaBid under the name "Coryologist," although he is clearly in it for the fish, rather than the money.

Frank has been in the hobby for more than five decades. He devoted his first four decades in the hobby almost exclusively to fancy guppies, which makes his breeding of 60+ species of Corys and related genera even more remarkable, since his Cory breedings have all been in the past 10 years or so. Frank is working on a book on fancy guppies, corys, and aquatic photography. (For more on Frank's history in the hobby and his forthcoming book, see his post on Apistogramma.com on that topic.)

Frank also runs AquaRadio, an Internet radio station, and hosts its flagship show "Sounds Fishy to Me" for which podcasts of previous broadcasts are available. He is also working to establish the American Corydoras Society.

Jon

Frank The Plumber

He's the best Cory guy IMO. Sad to see him go. I don't think those have been solved yet. Some of the other stuff on his auctions are extremely rare as well. Rare corys equal really hard to breed though. Like need God's tears in the water.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on February 27, 2013, 08:26:43 PM
He's the best. Sad to see him go.

Him and Ian Fuller..ask Capt'n Bob.......Bob's no slouch in this field
http://www.ianfuller.com/articles/authors/i_fuller/authors.html

Ian and Bob...
Jon

Frank The Plumber

The Ian Fuller article is a good read, thanks.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?