• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 11:04:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 175
Total: 176

Burgandy Beef

Started by shatanka, February 27, 2013, 04:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatanka

This is one of my Dad's yummy specialties. I just copied and pasted what he wrote, so it's not set up in a regular recipe format. But, OMG, is it delicious. I remember him serving it with whole baby red potatoes in some kind of butter sauce ( I don't have that recipe yet, sorry!)

Burgundy beef:
If you can find some nice stew meat that is already cut into chunks & isn't too much fat use that. The other option is to buy a "Top of the Round Steak" about a inch thick & cut it into chunks. The round steak is more expensive but not as fat as most of the stew meat. Round Steak preferred unless you can find some really nice stew beef.
If you use the round steak there will be a strip of fat along one edge, cut it all off & cut it into chunks. Put enough oil in the pot to just cover the bottom then add the fat chunks & cook until the fat is crisp. This is what is known as rendering, getting all the liquid fat out. This rendered beef fat adds to the flavor for cooking your beef. Discard the chunks of crisp fat & add the beef chunks, cook over med heat until the chunks are nice a brown all over. Add enough water to cover the beef bring to a boil then cover & reduce the heat & slow simmer for about an hour or until the beef is nice & tender.
In a jar with a tight cover put a couple tablespoons of flower & about a half cup of water. Shake this vigorously until the flour & water are all mixed into a smooth mixture add this to the beef & stir. Then add about a cup of Brandy wine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. You may have to adjust either more flour water mix or more Burgundy until you get the right texture & right flavor. You can add about a half bottle of "Gravy Master". You can use this same basic recipe for Hungarian Beef, just leave out the wine & add carrots & bay leaf. Add the bay leaf about 6 leaves in the beginning of your beef simmering & the carrots at the end so they don't get too soft
You can either serve it over noodles or mashed potatoes, If you can find Klomps noodles made by Muller they are the best.

Mugwump

Mmmm...sounds good.....thank you
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I'll vouch for that one.  I do a similar recipe in my pressure cooker. Burgundy gives beef a wonderful flavor.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

shatanka

OOO..I bet it gets really tender in the pressure cooker too, huh! I will have to try it that way! Thanks!

b125killer

That does sound good. I'm getting so hungry reading and out all the food.
Scott

shatanka

If you're getting hungry right now, try some of Jon's "Eggs in a hole" for breakfast! I am going to have to give that a shot in a few myself.