• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Worm boxes

Started by Ron Sower, March 12, 2016, 08:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I just finished making 3 complete ones and have all but 3 parts to finish a 4th one...!

Tomorrow I'll pick up some appropriate worm bedding and start some new cultures from the ones I'll be taking to the auction next month. I'm going to grow the white worms and grindals in them. I'm picking up a "beer fridge" from a client who isn't going to take it with him to the independent living facility they are moving to. It'll be great for keeping the white worms cool. Need them to be 60-65 degrees. I'm trading the use of my table tops, saw horses and A-boards for their estate sale before they move out of here.  If it won't hold them that high, I guess it'll have to revert to it's current use...BEER FRIDGE! mim

I've got my eye on a pretty red pickumuptruk they're gonna sell, but there is a first refusal option ahead of me. Don't really need it, but it's cute as hell....and RED..!!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Yesterday was a busy day at The White Worm Farm..!

I finished the 4th worm box then pulled out most of my surplus plywood pieces that were shelves at one time and cut and built 6 more. After a rest I bought some hardware cloth to fashion a sizing screen and sifted most of the topsoil bag to remove the sticks and lumps. Then I mixed it and coconut coir and started splitting the original cultures and filling the boxes to make new ones. My goal is to have all the cultures settled in before I leave for our 2-week vacation this coming Saturday. I have my friend Stan coming over to moisten and feed them, if needed, while I'm gone.

Some of the cultures are for Grindals which I am keeping inside due to their tolerance and desire for room temps.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 28, 2016, 11:09:04 AM
Yesterday was a busy day at The White Worm Farm..!

I finished the 4th worm box then pulled out most of my surplus plywood pieces that were shelves at one time and cut and built 6 more. After a rest I bought some hardware cloth to fashion a sizing screen and sifted most of the topsoil bag to remove the sticks and lumps. Then I mixed it and coconut coir and started splitting the original cultures and filling the boxes to make new ones. My goal is to have all the cultures settled in before I leave for our 2-week vacation this coming Saturday. I have my friend Stan coming over to moisten and feed them, if needed, while I'm gone.

Some of the cultures are for Grindals which I am keeping inside due to their tolerance and desire for room temps.

...good job !..you'll soon have enough for the whole west coast... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson