• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 149
Total: 150

Ponds and fish

Started by Mugwump, February 22, 2013, 07:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What other types of fish are good in ponds. I know that I'm going to try a DIY pond for growing out angel fry. I'd like a shallower pond too, possibly for small fish, danios,raspboras,etc....I'll home them for the winter inside...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I have kept my common pleco's in my koi pond

Mugwump

Hmmmm, I'll bet BN's would grow like crazy in a pond....???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have a thing for Pearl Gouramis.  They are beautiful when they're in their breeding colors.  They're a very elegant and peaceful fish.  They do quite well in Discus temps.  I bet I could grow them in a pond.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I have a pond liner pond in the back yard. It is my attempt and making a kind of natural thing (meaning I don't put much time into maintaining it). Its about 12 feet across. From the edges it drops off to about 2 feet for most of it with a 3 foot hole about 4 feet deep where the pump is. It is full of elodea and has a breeding population of goldfish that started out with many colors but are now evolved to a population of must black with a shiny goldish color over the black. My sophisticated goldfish friend who has imported fancy goldfish from Japan thinks I need fancier goldfish but I may quite happy with a fairly normal fish I don't ever feed that reproduces every year.
I have also thrown in crayfish, local salamanders, and tree frogs (as tadpoles) with the help of my kids. I will probably put some sticklebacks in there this year since a friend has a a bunch of local sticklebacks in the lab he works in. I would like to establish a small local aquatic nitch in the neighborhood. At least we now have two or three species of dragonflies.

I have thought of growing some danios outside in some tubs I have, but then I would have to get rid of a lot of them fast when the temperature drops because I would not have the space to house them inside.
I have seen herons around the pond several times, but I don't think they get many fish because there are so many plants they would not be able to see any.
I used to have raccoons get in, tear up the plants and make a mess, but I put a little (~18") electric fence around it and they leave it alone now.

Mugwump

I've thought of a pond/pool liner too....How long have you been using yours??...and what kind of pump??...capacity??.....
Jon

BillT

I have hadthe pond going from probably 4 years now. The pump is pretty big, but I forget how big.
It is a submersible so it is at the bottom of the pond right now and I can't easily tell.
It is driving a water fall (about 2.5 feet) and a small fountain sprayer.

I will probably clean it out this spring some time. The wife is encouraging this activity.

Mugwump

Thanx, is the pump on a timer, or runs 24/7 ??.......
Jon

BillT

Mugwump

Thanx, Bill....water fall??...hmmmm..that'll work, perhaps with a light behind it...??
Jon

BillT

No lights.

I did put an old carpet on the bottom of the pond to let plants root. I also put old carpet under the liner to protect the liner from roots and stones and things like that. I am told that putting a carpet in the pond is not recommended for various reasons like it makes it difficult to clean the bottom (which I don't do) and it will rot away increasing the bioload in the water, but I have lots of plants growing rooting into the carpet and the fish seem to do well. Its more like an old pond with a mucky bottom than a nice clean koi pond. There's a lot of biology going on in it.

Mugwump

Ah, thank you for the explaination.... ;D
Jon