• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Captain Bob goes Sprint car racing!!

Started by Rjb3, February 06, 2016, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

Yup, I was invited to join a local Sprint car team yesterday. It's a well sponsored team that wins races. I'm pretty excited about it.

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 06, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
Yup, I was invited to join a local Sprint car team yesterday. It's a well sponsored team that wins races. I'm pretty excited about it.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Tonight was my first night actually wrenching on the race car. It felt good. The show car is done. Yes, we have a car just for shows and display.

Next week we start on the one we're going to race. That won't take long. It just needs the fresh motor put in and the wheels and tires put on. Odds and ends won't take long either. April 30th is opening night.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 10, 2016, 10:29:42 PM
Tonight was my first night actually wrenching on the race car. It felt good. The show car is done. Yes, we have a car just for shows and display.

Next week we start on the one we're going to race. That won't take long. It just needs the fresh motor put in and the wheels and tires put on. Odds and ends won't take long either. April 30th is opening night.

What size engine can you run with those rigs?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

your going to have a lot of fun bob. About 15 year ago i was a mechanic on a outlaw team had so much fun.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Rjb3

The car runs a small block Chevy crate motor naturally aspirated on alcohol. It's a new class of car for the local track.

Rjb3

Finally, after a ten year absence, I was in the pits again. It felt pretty good, too. Testing went good last Saturday night. It was a lot of work. Every change made the car faster. Because it's a sealed engine class, all attention goes to chassis set-up.

Although nothing was discussed at the track, on the ride home we talked about how we were the fastest car on the track. I hope that trend continues. All the cars entered in the class weren't at the Saturday practice. There was a second session on Sunday that we didn't attend. We'll see what they got this Saturday on opening night.

Last night I mounted all new tires for the season. All will be measured and sized on Saturday for future use.

I'm sorry there was no time for pics.

Mugwump

..sounds like a blast, do you tow the car there for each event, or store it at the track?......must be loud too, ear plug special ?....
Jon

Ron Sower

As I watch the front wheels wobble in the curves I wonder haw you manage to keep them on the vehicle all the time!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

Quote from: Mugwump on April 28, 2016, 08:31:42 AM
..sounds like a blast, do you tow the car there for each event, or store it at the track?......must be loud too, ear plug special ?....

He has a semi tractor and trailer that holds the race car, our tire rack, and a Suzuki Samurai. The Suzuki is not a car anymore. Its chopped in half. The front half is the fenders and hood. The back half is a big toolbox. It's actually a self propelled tool box. We use it to push start the race car.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on April 28, 2016, 06:34:51 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 28, 2016, 08:31:42 AM

He has a semi tractor and trailer that holds the race car, our tire rack, and a Suzuki Samurai. The Suzuki is not a car anymore. Its chopped in half. The front half is the fenders and hood. The back half is a big toolbox. It's actually a self propelled tool box. We use it to push start the race car.

..can't wait for pics of it all....sounds like quite an operation....

..I had a friend who worked pit crew for Bobby Rahal.....oh the stories he could tell....
Jon

Rjb3

Tonight would have been opening night, but we're rained out.

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon