• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 03:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

I Hate Fluval 405/406

Started by b125killer, January 31, 2016, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

My sister got my Fluval 405 with the tank I gave her, I did warn her about there down falls. she got a ammonia spike because the filter wasn't pumping water. She does clean it at least one a month but there was something blocking the return tube. She found out when her L264 pleco died. I told her not to worry to much about one fish but the next day she told me her discus were at the top gasping. I did tested here water and sure enough there was ammonia. I had her do 50% water changes and tear her filter completely apart. she found the blockage. the next day she lost half her cory cats. and the discus wouldn't eat. she also said it looks like one of here discus was melting. So I had her get a new filter. It's a sun sun with uv. I have been running my sun sun for a long time with no problems. After the new filter and lots of water changes things were staring to look better. she did lose two discus from the problem. After a few weeks without anything dying and her water tested came out clean I gave her one of my discus I got from Liz. I still hate fluval 405/406. I don't have them filters anymore but I found some replacement parts for them. It's sad when you need to keep spare parts for your filters because they break down so much.   
Scott

Mugwump

..that stinks....I'm not a fan of canister filters anyway......I'm glad all's working out for the better now tho.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I love my fluval FX6 have not had any problems with them.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

b125killer

I have heard a lot of good things on the fx5/fx6. I think i would set up a sump before I used a fx6.
Scott

LizStreithorst

I have a canister filter on my 125 at the shop.  It's an Eheim.  Maintenance it easy.  It works like a charm.  I prefer sponges in the fish room but for a display tank it is a good filter.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I like canister filters over hob filters. I don't really like the water fall noise. I still have sponge in my tank. I was thinking of putting a sponge filter in the saltwater tank. But I'm not to sure how well it would work. Also I don't think there is a need for it.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on February 01, 2016, 05:49:07 PM
I like canister filters over hob filters. I don't really like the water fall noise. I still have sponge in my tank. I was thinking of putting a sponge filter in the saltwater tank. But I'm not to sure how well it would work. Also I don't think there is a need for it.

....nope, don't..........why?.....well because I have never, ever seen a sponge in a salt tank.....good enough for me...LOLOLOL...somebody knows something..

....I imagine because of the sponge being a 'bio' colony in itself, and can't sustain itself in salt water....if so, a seeded sponge would crash and cause an ammonia spike....??..a new sponge would never seed....being starved for the nitrite/nitrates .... too few fish, and less feeding of the salt fish..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I've never seen a sponge in a SW tank either.  Surely there is a reason.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Jon

b125killer

A sponge filter not a sponge animal lol. And yes you can use them in saltwater. But there is a problem with the splash from the bubbles creating excessive salt creep. They do have sponge filter blocks that you put in your sump. But there's debate on whether they help or cause nitrate and phosphates to spike. It's a never ending battle with phosphates.
Of course they would need to be new or from a established saltwater system. If you put a seeded freshwater sponge filter in a saltwater system it would probably crash the system.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on February 01, 2016, 07:48:17 PM
A sponge filter not a sponge animal lol. And yes you can use them in saltwater. But there is a problem with the splash from the bubbles creating excessive salt creep. They do have sponge filter blocks that you put in your sump. But there's debate on whether they help or cause nitrate and phosphates to spike. It's a never ending battle with phosphates.
Of course they would need to be new or from a established saltwater system. If you put a seeded freshwater sponge filter in a saltwater system it would probably crash the system.

hence vodka dosing..... |^|......the splash?...ah..makes sense...crashed sponge is what I surmised.....you're further into this than I am for sure....good work, Scott.. |^|
Jon

BillT

I would think a sponge filter in a salt tank would do better in a sump with no light lest it get clogged up with that encrusting pink algae or maybe something else.

By the way I have been interested in, but never had a freshwater sponge:
https://www.google.com/search?q=freshwater+sponges&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTrNnYmdjKAhVQy2MKHYYMDwAQ_AUICCgC&biw=1283&bih=770