• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 17, 2024, 09:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 210
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Uh Oh.....

Started by Mugwump, February 15, 2013, 09:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

3/4 of the world's surface covered in water...asteroid hits land...cripes!!!!!.....The larger one passes early this afternoon......duck everybody.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Yeah...and the one that hit land in Russia caused injuries and damage! 

Quack.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

PaulineMi

They're now saying the damage was due to the "sonic boom" when the asteroid crashed into our atmosphere.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

b125killer

The experts had determined there was no connection between the asteroid and the Russian meteor ? just cosmic coincidence.
But I think I'm going to get ready to duck. It's to much of a coincidence for two in one day.
Scott

BillT

My understanding is that the asteroid exploded several miles above the surface and that it was about 10 tons.
I suppose its possible it was a piece that fell off the larger some time ago.
I am sure we will hear about their respective trajectories in a few days.

shatanka

I subscribe to NASA's Science News. They send you emails about any space activity going on..pretty cool!  Anyway, they sent this one about how they are broadcasting the asteroid fly by if you want to try and see if you can watch this.. go to the link and click on their stream...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/13feb_asteroidcoverage/

also some info on possible seismic activity on the asteroid-

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/14feb_asteroidquakes/

BillT

Mugwump

The NASA site is cool for a lot of pics and steams....look around....I like the 'Hubble' pics...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

I tried looking for the live stream, but I think it was earlier this afternoon? I THINK another thing is coming on at 9 p.m. EST here to see it again..not sure .
It said this on the site -"Also, a Ustream feed of the flyby from a telescope at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., will be streamed for three hours starting at 9 p.m. EST (8 p.m. CST). To view the feed and ask researchers questions about the flyby via Twitter, visit      http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc

Hope we can see it then on there?

shatanka

ok, myself, along with about 5,100 people are on that last link above are ...WAITING! All we see is a white/gray screen and listening to some music. Not sure what is going on. One commenter said this, " by the sounds of the music the IT dept is smoking something!" HA HA HA
another commenter said "Due to recent budget cuts, the telescope was melted down to coin more money..." lol

I don't know what is going on. Wish they would play the live stream to see this thing!

Mugwump

LOL....captive audience..... :o
Jon

PaulineMi

I saw it on TV "live" at 2:29 p.m. (I think that was the time).  It would be much more fulfilling have seen it in the night sky in person if it occurred at that time.

I crawl out of bed at odd hours to watch meteor showers.  The night time sky fascinates me.

shatanka

ME too..love sitting out on a lawn chair watching it all. My older daughter had found some sort of ap for her phone that lets you see what stars are what as far as the constellations go too. It points them all out with lines and all. Don't ask me what it is, cuz I don't have a clue! I'll ask her when she comes down for a visit from collge.

OK..on that last link I posted above, it seems to be working now. BUT, it is very cloudy in AL so you can't really see much; I see stars, not really seeing the asteroid though?  But, the music is great...like being in a music/planetarium show!

This link shows it better when it was passing through near Australia more - also a NASA feed on here-
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-live-video-nasa-video-of-asteroid-flying-by-earth-20130215,0,2107256.story

Wish I saw it "Live" when you did Pauline. I was busy. oh well.

PaulineMi

I know that constellation app. I had it on mylast phone. What's nice about it is that it shows the horizon and the moon which makes it easy to get your bearings.

Mugwump

One of my grandsons is into the planets,stars,etc....he's only 8 yrs old and knows them all, and better yet....outside when it's dark...he's fascinated bt it all....what's the 'app' ??..he'd love it..
Jon