• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 11:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 207
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

???....

Started by Mugwump, January 04, 2016, 09:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Looks like sized up spray in insulation.

I have been insulating and drywalling a room for my mother in-law and i have been thinking something like that would be handy.

LizStreithorst

I think that it would be easier to put in regular insulation.  Look at how the guy has to dress up to do this job.  With the normal pink stuff all you need is a stapler.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

It would be cheaper too.
On the other hand, vapor barrier not needed.
On the other other hand (original hand?), requires a special tool for the trimming.

LizStreithorst

Also, remember that this guy obviously knows what he's doing and makes it look easy.  He is very smooth in his movements.  I bet when he was first learning the smooth technique he messed up a lot.  Give me rolls of pink stuff and a stapler any day.  The only other thing I would require is a bottle of vinegar to wipe on my arms where they got all prickly and itchy from the fiberglass.  If you don't believe in the vinegar, just try it next time you put up insulation.  I don't know why it works, but it works.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

What I'm reading is that when it's done properly...it's way better than roll on, or blown in, insulation....the key word being 'properly'....and it's easier applied when under construction ....best too...

...it's not novice work for sure..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I have been using a combination of rock fiber insulation (like fiberglass, but not flammable) in the walls and rigid foam (polyurethane) insulation in the ceiling.
The rigid insulation is probably the same materials as the spray in foam in the movie. Its the same as the cans you can buy at the store.
The rock fiber does not require stapling in the walls. It expands a bit and keeps in place.
Like styrofoam, you can easily tear off pieces to stuff around pipes etc.

ghonk

Sure would suck if you ever had to get to your plumbing or electric,or add on later.

sschind

You could make quick work of fake rock backgrounds with that stuff.  Looks like it expands a great deal more than the stuff in the cans.  I think the video says 120:1.

I'm thinking you make a framework of whatever size you want your background, spray it on and let it expand beyond the frame (like it expands beyond the stud walls) and slice it off with the electric turkey carver and viola, instant background.

Could also be a secondary market for the pieces they trim off and I assume throw away.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB