• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 03:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 202
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Hello Everyone!

Started by b125killer, December 29, 2015, 02:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Sorry I have been gone for so long. I really didn't think about working retail during the holidays. It turns out that between my real job and second job, it's another job all in it self. I have this week off! no work at either places. I needed a break. It should slow down a bit for me now.
I have cut back on tanks. I only have three running right now. My big 155 bow front turned into the discus tank. I still have the old 55 planted. the plants in it don't look the greatest. I kind of neglect that tank. the only fish I have in it are the Electric Blue Acara the wild Bn and his girlfriend and my saltwater tank. Truth be told I have been so involved with the salt water that the only tanks I don't neglect was the discus tank. I still have my clown loaches, cories, bns, and the Synodontis petricola. There in with the discus now. It seems everyone is playing nice. I was a little worried about the loaches. I gave my last breeding pair of angels to my mom. for some reason she lost her angels. not sure why, I know she was having problems with territory issues. I sold the 150 gallon with the curved corners. I still have the 180 gallon bow but thats not set up yet. and probably won't be for some time. I need to get a protein skimmer for it and it's not cheap.
        I also lost a few relatives these past few months. Jon Knows about a Uncle I lost a few months back. We were not that close. I only seen him a had full of times. Also My great Aunt passed on the 18th. She was close and a good person. we were going to go see her after Christmas. She was in her 80s and was in bad health. I knew she didn't have long to stay but I was still hoping i could of seen her. It seemed odd to have a funeral days before Christmas. other than that it's been a lot of work. Hopefully I can catch up on a few post that i missed and stay caught up.   
Scott

LizStreithorst

Welcome back!  I'd been wondering about the Discus.  It shouldn't be too much longer before mine start pairing.  Yours have always been ahead of mine.  Bet it happens to you first.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...It's good to see you posting again....and I'm glad that you're taking a much needed break too  |^|....everyone needs to recharge their batteries now and then..... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Liz, I have at least two pair of discus that i seen spawn. one pair was both yours and one of the yellow one and one of yours. They have grown to be nice discus. I did get a few to 7"plus. the smaller ones are around 5". I kind of figured they will always be smaller but they have great color. and they still don't look stunted. there eyes aren't huge anyways.

I'm also upset over them stupid yellow discus. I paid way too much for them and they turned orange on me. I can hardly tell them apart from the other Pigeon Blood Discus. I do need to replace the lighting on that tank but they were starting to change colors in the other tank. there also on the smaller side, there around 5 to 6 inches. one is for sure a female, I seen her spawn.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Yellow is very difficult.  They can be fed no color enhancers at all except for yellow marigold flowers that have been dried and added to your home made meat based food.  Most people don't know this but I've been around for a while.

b125killer

I didn't know that. I also feed with color enhancers. I guess that would explain why they went orange on me. They almost look like checkerboard discus.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 29, 2015, 03:26:21 PM
Yellow is very difficult.  They can be fed no color enhancers at all except for yellow marigold flowers that have been dried and added to your home made meat based food.  Most people don't know this but I've been around for a while.

Scott, we grow marigolds every year, regular, and the giant....next time down ask Jan for seeds....you can grow them at home...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Be careful with Marigold flower parts. I think some parts are poisonous.

Rjb3

Tagetes erecta are the ones to watch out for.

wsantia1

Welcome back Scott. Sorry to hear about the losses to your family. As of now I plan to make it back to Illinois for NADA. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see you while I'm there. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Rjb3 on December 29, 2015, 04:33:35 PM
Be careful with Marigold flower parts. I think some parts are poisonous.

All he needs is the yellowest flowers.  Still, he should do his research.  I've never done it myself.  I heard this from an importer who had been to Asia and had spoken to his exporter about it.  After what I was told I decided never to mess with Yellows.  They have to be kept in a tank of their own because you want the other Discus to get color fed.

How about posting a pic of them?  So what if they are orange.  If they are good fish, they are good fish regardless of what name they are called.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on December 29, 2015, 04:40:51 PM
Tagetes erecta are the ones to watch out for.

yup, the 'Mexican Marigold'...I believe?
Jon

b125killer

I probably won't make my own food. Not when I can get great food from Captain Bob.  I was just disappointed they changed. I got them because they were yellow.
Willie when you make it back to Illinois I will make sure we can see eachother.  Maybe you can stop by the house and see lil' Willie, I can't tell them apart anymore.
Scott

wsantia1

Quote from: b125killer on December 30, 2015, 10:48:36 AM
I probably won't make my own food. Not when I can get great food from Captain Bob.  I was just disappointed they changed. I got them because they were yellow.
Willie when you make it back to Illinois I will make sure we can see eachother.  Maybe you can stop by the house and see lil' Willie, I can't tell them apart anymore.

I am so glad I gave him to you. He couldn't have found a better home. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.