• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 176
Total: 176

Sta Isabel/Rio Negro spawn

Started by Mugwump, February 05, 2013, 02:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mugwump on February 12, 2013, 02:12:08 PM
Quote from: Jdmcfast on February 12, 2013, 02:07:24 PM
I hope you have better luck with ur albinos than I have:D

You have to separate them from the others....raise em gently...
I do separate them and use very dim light and I still can't get them to make it past a couple weeks
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on February 12, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 12, 2013, 02:12:08 PM
Quote from: Jdmcfast on February 12, 2013, 02:07:24 PM
I hope you have better luck with ur albinos than I have:D

You have to separate them from the others....raise em gently...
I do separate them and use very dim light and I still can't get them to make it past a couple weeks

shallow water??...this closes in the area and makes it easier to find food...feed lightly....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

No I haven't tried shallow water yet, I'm getting some from a different pair though so maybe I will have better luck with them
Josh

Mugwump

I think you'll find about the same situation no matter the pair....Albinos are fragile at first, extra care to keep everything clean/fresh,..it's the nature of the beast....I've seen pics of larger Albino batches....keep trying, a viable spawn will come your way. Feed the parents well, and keep their water pristine, this will allow them to have the best spawn possible. the word persnickity comes to mind ....LOL....
The shallower tank will help a lot too....their eye sight is the issue, most times..they'll literally have to bump into the food to find it.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Update on the fry, less than a week free swimming...the fry in front make it hard to see the rest that are further back.....big spawn....lots....

Jon

PaulineMi

Well they certainly look active and healthy!  Glad to see it. :D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on February 12, 2013, 06:03:02 PM
I think you'll find about the same situation no matter the pair....Albinos are fragile at first, extra care to keep everything clean/fresh,..it's the nature of the beast....I've seen pics of larger Albino batches....keep trying, a viable spawn will come your way. Feed the parents well, and keep their water pristine, this will allow them to have the best spawn possible. the word persnickity comes to mind ....LOL....
The shallower tank will help a lot too....their eye sight is the issue, most times..they'll literally have to bump into the food to find it.....

I got that same talking to form jon years back and now I have a tank full of baby BN's..
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

moved to the 30 gal long....looks like they like it in there...disregard the background noise, it's my pump, I'm draining tanks for water changes...this is a biggie spawn...LOL..watch them shoal..group in the back of the tank shoaling too.....LOL...fun to watch..also, seems Neil had a gold in his Rio Negro cross....I'm seeing golds????...when they're bigger it'll be easier to tell...right now I want the heavily striped ones....yeppers...stay tuned...

Jon

PaulineMi

Oh!  My babies are in that group. ;D

That is one huge spawn and they look great.  Nice job with them Jon.

I'm all about the heavily striped ones also.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

shatanka

That is a huge spawn! They look so cute! I too like the heavy striped ones. So exciting seeing their "baby pictures"! lol  Pauline is chomping at the bit here ! lol  It must be fun watching them develop and color up waiting and wondering.

PaulineMi

You're still getting some aren't you Shatanka?

b125killer

there looking great. that's a big spawn.
Scott

shatanka

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 24, 2013, 08:19:13 PM
You're still getting some aren't you Shatanka?

Oh YES,  I am still getting some!   I know you will be getting yours first because you guys are almost "neighbors." I may have to wait til the weather is good enough? We'll see. Hopefully they'll be grown enough to go when the weather is also cooperating...that would be good timing. I can just feel your anticipation though!! lol  It's kind of fun seeing your excitement! ha ha   I am excited too! I am getting my new set up ready; it's about cycled. I've got some fish already for it but have put them in other tanks for now.

Mugwump

So far, so good...they're eating well......
Jon

shatanka

Yay!!! Keep on taking good care of them! We're counting on ya! ( that wasn't too much pressure, was it)? lol